Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fahadakbar

Previous Week Calculations

Hi Guys,

I am so stuck here, would really appreciate help

I have daily customer account cancellation (called Vol) data. I want to calculate the sum of previous weeks cancelations along with current week cancelations. for the previous week vol calculation I am using the following measure:

Vol For Prev Week = CALCULATE(
SUM('Activity Table'[Vol]),
(Filter(ALLSELECTED('Activity Table'),'Activity Table'[Week]=max('Activity Table'[Week])-1)))

I then use "Table" visual to show the results (for last 5 weeks). This is how it shows:

Vol Table.PNG

As you can see, I have additionally put 'District' column, so that i can see cancelations district wise. Here comes the problem.

the above-mentioned measure shows me the total of all the districts for the previous weeks, whereas i want district wise cancellation numbers.

How do i get this done

Best

Fa 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, this needs a little explaination.  See some sample data I created based on your input (Screen Shot 1).  

The same formula works based on FACT Vol values with dates, cities, Disctricts, etc.  (Screen shot 3)  ** BUT ** you can't summarize AT2_PW_VOL_2 b/c it's a GROUP calcualtion by Week already...  

AT2_PW_VOI_2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Activity Table 2'[VOL]), FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Activity Table 2'), 'Activity Table 2'[Calc_Week] = (EARLIER('Activity Table 2'[Calc_Week]) - 1) && 'Activity Table 2'[District] =  EARLIER('Activity Table 2'[District])))

Now the 'why' it works...  See my 2nd screen shot where i Un-Sumed VOL.  Even though '-43' is the correct SUM'ED Total for VOL for the previous week for ON WWW, -43 isn't a SUM'ed value it's really -43 OVER AND OVER AND OVER again for the whole week.  As such, 'SUM'ing this column again throws off your numbers.

Side note!  I'm assuming you will want to do some form of Delta or % change calcuation.  But remember these are columns and not measures, so you have to use something like MAX or AVG with the AT2_PW_VOL_2 column not to throw off your numbers again.  Since EVERY entry in AT2_PW_VOL_2 for the week (by district) is the same, it really doesn't matter what you use when creating your follow-up Measures.  (AVG might be safer actually?)

DELTA = SUM('Activity Table 2'[VOL]) - MAX('Activity Table 2'[AT2_PW_VOI_2])

Hope this helps!

FOrrest

P.S.  A little ISBLANK logic on DELTA will keep your week 1 from looking wrong.  🙂

Capture.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture2.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

This is a Custom Column (not measure) to display prior week && (and) break up the Districts.

FOrrest

PW_VOI_2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Activity Table'[VOI]), FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Activity Table'), 'Activity Table'[Week] = (EARLIER('Activity Table'[Week]) - 1) && 'Activity Table'[District] = EARLIER('Activity Table'[District])))

Capture.PNG

Thank You!

Hi Fhill,

many many thanks,

i used this approach earlier, but instead using && i just added another FILTER expression. 

Anyhow, it still seems to have a problem, when i created a custom column using :

Column = calculate (
sum('Activity Table'[Vol]),
filter(allselected('Activity Table'),'Activity Table'[Week]= earlier('Activity Table'[Week]) &&
'Activity Table'[District] = EARLIER('Activity Table'[District])))

the result is apparently showing my the sum of vol for the same week, not previous,

see below :

Vol Table 1.PNG

what am i doing wrong here?

Thanks

Make sure you include the 'Minus 1' ( Earlier....  -1 ) part to go back a week.  If this still doesn't work, can you post a sample of your raw data?  It could be a problem that VOI is hard coded for me, but i'm guessing your VOI is already a SUM value of VOI records? 

FOrrest

Thank You!

Yes,

i am including Earlier in the DAX expression for both(district & week)

you are right, VOL is already a sum of week 

(Measure)

Vol total for Week =
CALCULATE(SUM('Activity Table'[Vol]), ALL('Activity Table'[Week]))

Originally, data sate is like this :

Date,        Week ,Prov, District, City , VOL

1/1/2017  ,1,        ON ,  XXX,      YYY ,  -1 

1/2/2017  ,1,        PE,     CCC,      AAA. -1

** week is also a calculated number through weeknumber(date)

OK, this needs a little explaination.  See some sample data I created based on your input (Screen Shot 1).  

The same formula works based on FACT Vol values with dates, cities, Disctricts, etc.  (Screen shot 3)  ** BUT ** you can't summarize AT2_PW_VOL_2 b/c it's a GROUP calcualtion by Week already...  

AT2_PW_VOI_2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Activity Table 2'[VOL]), FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Activity Table 2'), 'Activity Table 2'[Calc_Week] = (EARLIER('Activity Table 2'[Calc_Week]) - 1) && 'Activity Table 2'[District] =  EARLIER('Activity Table 2'[District])))

Now the 'why' it works...  See my 2nd screen shot where i Un-Sumed VOL.  Even though '-43' is the correct SUM'ED Total for VOL for the previous week for ON WWW, -43 isn't a SUM'ed value it's really -43 OVER AND OVER AND OVER again for the whole week.  As such, 'SUM'ing this column again throws off your numbers.

Side note!  I'm assuming you will want to do some form of Delta or % change calcuation.  But remember these are columns and not measures, so you have to use something like MAX or AVG with the AT2_PW_VOL_2 column not to throw off your numbers again.  Since EVERY entry in AT2_PW_VOL_2 for the week (by district) is the same, it really doesn't matter what you use when creating your follow-up Measures.  (AVG might be safer actually?)

DELTA = SUM('Activity Table 2'[VOL]) - MAX('Activity Table 2'[AT2_PW_VOI_2])

Hope this helps!

FOrrest

P.S.  A little ISBLANK logic on DELTA will keep your week 1 from looking wrong.  🙂

Capture.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture2.PNG

Thank You!

Awesome !

such a great learning ,

in fact, i was missing Minus 1 thing, i didn't notice that it has to be like that :

filter(allselected('Activity Table'),'Activity Table'[Week]= (earlier('Activity Table'[Week])-1)

Question: why do I have to use Minus one, and why 'Earlier' alone is not sufficient? 

Your Side note is also correct, my aim is to grab the percentage difference between current week average and last week average (by district)

so how do I get that?

Yea, I wish PowerBI / DAX would use a different word that 'Earlier', it's confusing... You can acctually use EARLIER to look up LATER values...  This Blog by TinyLizard explains it in depth...

http://tinylizard.com/dax-earlier-function/

Use my Delta formula as a base to add some ( ) 's and a divide by AVERAGE( PW VOI..) again to produce your % change calcualtion.    (Solution below the screen shot if you get stuck).    🙂   FOrrest

Capture.PNG

DELTA% = IF(ISBLANK(AVERAGE('Activity Table 2'[AT2_PW_VOI_2])),0, SUM('Activity Table 2'[VOL]) - AVERAGE('Activity Table 2'[AT2_PW_VOI_2])) / AVERAGE('Activity Table 2'[AT2_PW_VOI_2])

Thank You!

Just taking benefit from your in-depth knowledge here, why can't the same thing be achieved from Measures? why do we need to create columns?

There are ways to create measures to do the same thing, Google DAX EARLIER AS a Measure for examples.  Everyone's programming style is different; no right or wrong way to do things, just how I perfer to go at a solution.

Thank You!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.