Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

batranikhil
Frequent Visitor

Prevent Table Columns from Auto Sorting in Data View

Hi, 

I'm building a report based on some survey data, and went through the process of ordering all columns in "Transform Data". But when I came to the main view to build the report, everything was sorted Alphabetically in Data View on the right hand side. 

I couldn't find any option to prevent it from happening. 

e.g. as seen in the Screenshot, the first few collumns in the table are Respondent ID, Country, S1, Decision Maker and so on. Whereas, if you look at the right in Data View, its arranged everything alphabetically -  starting with 5G, 5G Network Slicing, and so on. Ideally, I want the Columns in Data view to mantain the same order as in the original table.  

Screenshot 2023-07-06 180636.jpg

Fairly new to all PowerBI, so appreciate all the help. 

Thanks.  

2 REPLIES 2
mahenkj2
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

hi @batranikhil 

When you are building report, why concerned about Data view? You can sort as needed in the report visual. I see not much need to go through to that.

Hope it helps.

daanhumble
Employee
Employee

Hi @batranikhil,

Tables and columns in Power BI Desktop are by default sorted alphabetically. The custom order that you made in Power Query (or the order that came from the source system for that matter) will not propagate to the datamodel. If you want to enforce a certain order you'll have to rename the columns (for example by adding a prefix) to follow that logic.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.