Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

aramirez2
Helper I
Helper I

Predict Future Inventary

Hello.

I am creating Inventory Table mixing real data for the past days and predicted data for the future days. I have these 3 tables:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NHSx1a4oN7X3hYK39o39RcaKuhZjYkLkh2OtDvnKx3o/edit#gid=0

Inventory Table Column Formulas are:

S0 = IF(inventory[date]<TODAY(), PastInventory [S0],CALCULATE(MIN(inventory[S_final]), ALLEXCEPT(inventory, inventory[sku]), PREVIOUSDAY(inventory[date])))

Incomes = IF(inventory[date]<TODAY(), PastInventory [Incomes], LOOKUPVALUE('Incomes'[quantity_in], 'Incomes'[product], inventory[product], 'Incomes'[date_in], inventory[date])

Outcomes = IF(inventory[date]<TODAY(), PastInventory [Outcomes], 
LOOKUPVALUE(PastInventory [Maxlast3dOutcomes], PastInventory [product], inventory[product]))

Sf = So + Incomes - Outcomes

My issue comes up with Sf formula as I fall down in a circular dependency error as Sf column is affected by "So" and "So" is based on last day Sf column. However no single row has circular dependency because "So" gets previous Sf row data and Sf is taking the same row data.

As you can see I was able to build up INVENTORY table with Excel without any dependency error because Excel works with row level and Power BI with column error. I do not know how I can avoid this circular depend on Power BI. 

May anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-lili6-msft  Sorry I forgot to open the spreadsheet. However I have already found the solution

Sf = VAR Sf = LOOKUPVALUE(PASTINVENTORY[Sf], PASTINVENTORY[Date], MAX(PASTINVENTORY[Date]), PASTINVENTORY[Product], inventory[productId]) 
var curdate = inventory[date] 
var lastdate1 = MAX(PASTINVENTORY[Date]) 
var io = CALCULATE(SUM(inventory[income])-SUM(inventory[outcome]),FILTER(ALL(inventory),AND(inventory[date] <= curdate,inventory[date] >= lastdate1))) 
var a = IF(inventory[date]<TODAY(), LOOKUPVALUE(PASTINVENTORY[Sf], PASTINVENTORY[Date], inventory[date], PASTINVENTORY[Product], inventory[productId]), Sf+io) 
RETURN a

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @aramirez2 

The file you uploaded needs permission, please upload again.

and you could also have a look this blog:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/avoiding-circular-dependency-errors-in-dax/

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lili6-msft  Sorry I forgot to open the spreadsheet. However I have already found the solution

Sf = VAR Sf = LOOKUPVALUE(PASTINVENTORY[Sf], PASTINVENTORY[Date], MAX(PASTINVENTORY[Date]), PASTINVENTORY[Product], inventory[productId]) 
var curdate = inventory[date] 
var lastdate1 = MAX(PASTINVENTORY[Date]) 
var io = CALCULATE(SUM(inventory[income])-SUM(inventory[outcome]),FILTER(ALL(inventory),AND(inventory[date] <= curdate,inventory[date] >= lastdate1))) 
var a = IF(inventory[date]<TODAY(), LOOKUPVALUE(PASTINVENTORY[Sf], PASTINVENTORY[Date], inventory[date], PASTINVENTORY[Product], inventory[productId]), Sf+io) 
RETURN a

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@aramirez2 - Perhaps have a look at Days of Supply - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Days-of-Supply/m-p/635656#M318

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler  for your answer. It is a great exercise even though it is not very related to my issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.