Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kiggsworthy
Regular Visitor

PowerBI won’t pull in the correct values for a colunn in one of my tables

I have 2 tables on a worksheet:

Kiggsworthy_0-1593002732470.png

Kiggsworthy_1-1593002766719.png

I am trying to build a report that shows as a stacked area line graph the DEM Consumption Prod and PreProd columns from the two tables.

This should be straightforward, here is how I’ve pulled in the data, and here is the table showing the values are incorrect:

Kiggsworthy_2-1593002898413.png

I have no idea where the values for the RUM PreProd column are even coming from?? This issue is really frustrating this is such a simple chart to make.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Kiggsworthy so you started in Power BI service and then used Power BI desktop connect to power bi service as live connection. This is not supported.

SO here is what you need to do:

- start power bi deskop, new pbix file

- connect to excel from share point

and then do all the modelling etc

Online version doesn't allow you to create model/set relatioship etc.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Kiggsworthy because these tables are not related on common date dimension. As a best practice, add date dimension in your model and use it for and time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools.

https://perytus.com/2020/05/22/create-a-basic-date-table-in-your-data-model-for-time-intelligence-ca...

After you have a date dimension table, set relationship on a date with your tables and then on x-axis use date from date dimension table and everything will flow.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

I’m unable to follow the advice (thank you though) above because A: I cannot figure out how to open a report I started making on the web in the desktop app, I can only save a copy or start a new one, and B: even if I start a new one, with this data source, none of the data modeling options are actually available, so I can’t do anything to it: 

Kiggsworthy_0-1593012643258.png

@Kiggsworthy what is your data source? How you are connected? Is it import or live? Also, I'm not clear what exactly is the problem?

Let's go-to basics:

- first you need add a date dimension in your model (link was shared how to do it )
- create a relationship with date dimension and transaction table

- use date from date dimension on the x-axis

Now, which step is not working, or is it something else? Please explain in detail with screenshots. 

Thank you for your help. It is an excel spreadsheet hosted on a sharepoint file share. I used the “get data“ option, selected the shared spreadsheet, and then used the “Import Excel data into PowerBI” option. It now shows up under the “Datasets” in the workspace. I have found several resources about changing the data model, linking tables, etc, including the one you linked, but when I connect to this data source in PowerBI desktop, all of those options are grayed out (as in the prior screenshot)

@Kiggsworthy so you started in Power BI service and then used Power BI desktop connect to power bi service as live connection. This is not supported.

SO here is what you need to do:

- start power bi deskop, new pbix file

- connect to excel from share point

and then do all the modelling etc

Online version doesn't allow you to create model/set relatioship etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.