Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

nataliesmiy1357
Helper III
Helper III

PowerBI Relationships not responding

Hello - I am having an issue with my report not responding to filters correctly, and I believe it is a relationship issue.

here are the relationships that I have:  

Downtime Report [ Date] : OR Report [DATE]        This is a many to many relationship.

Downtime Report [Plant and Line] : OR Report [ Merged]         This is also a many to many relationship, but not active..

nataliesmiy1357_0-1704307150083.png

Both of these tables have the same dates and names of the plants.  Not sure how to make both relationships active..

when I put a filter of OR Report [Merge], and then put in information from the Downtime Report table, they are not connected.

Thanks in advance for all your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gmsamborn
Super User
Super User

Hi @nataliesmiy1357 

I would get rid of the existing relationships and build a star-schema by adding a Date dimension as well as another dimension based on Plant & Line.

After creating 1:* relationships between the dimension tables and the fact table, you will be able to slice by date (and date table columns) and/or 'Plant & Line'.

Power BI and the tabular model are designed to be used with a star-schema.

To me, it seems like you are trying to swim upstream.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gmsamborn
Super User
Super User

Hi @nataliesmiy1357 

I would get rid of the existing relationships and build a star-schema by adding a Date dimension as well as another dimension based on Plant & Line.

After creating 1:* relationships between the dimension tables and the fact table, you will be able to slice by date (and date table columns) and/or 'Plant & Line'.

Power BI and the tabular model are designed to be used with a star-schema.

To me, it seems like you are trying to swim upstream.

Kaviraj11
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

To make any relationship which are not active, you can utilize the DAX Function 'USERELATIONSHIP' in your measure

USERELATIONSHIP function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.