Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ajokerst-dhl
Regular Visitor

PowerBI/Powershell - Get list of datasources that a PBIX file uses

I am trying to get a list of datasources that a Powerbi file is using. I seen solutions online where I can use the ReportingService module to get a list but this only works when the PowerBI report is published online. Is there a solution that would work for a local file?

Here is the situation. A user gives me a Powerbi file. In order for me to get a list of datasources, I have to go in manually and to take a look at sources manually. Ideally, I would like to use Powershell to get this list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ajokerst-dhl
Regular Visitor

All, in order to get datasources, you have to first publish the pbix and then query it to get the list.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/get-datasources

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ajokerst-dhl
Regular Visitor

All, in order to get datasources, you have to first publish the pbix and then query it to get the list.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/get-datasources

ajokerst-dhl
Regular Visitor

Alrighty, I was able to use the MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Data and the command Get-PowerBIDatasource to get the list of datasources. However, it's not returning the connection string or name. 

Name :

ConnectionString :

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ajokerst-dhl ;

As far as I know, Power BI local files need to view the data source in the Data Source setting.
Power Shell is for services and does not include local files;
So you still need to check it manually.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.