Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AveStuart

PowerBI Hangs/Crashes When I paste Query Into Query Editor

Hello - 

I"m very new to PowerBI and have a report which someone else created.  The report generally works, however I had to make changes to the underlying query.  I go into the Model, select my query, right-click and select Edit Query.  In the Power Query Editor window, i'm selecting Source in the APPLIED STEPS window which opens the SQL Server Database window.  I can see the query and database connections in this window, however whenever I paste my updated query into the window, Power BI hangs for a very long time.  Then invevitably I get the Windows pop-up window asking if I want to close the program or wait for it.  If I wait for it, it hangs again for a very long time and then I get the same pop-up window once again.  This occurs over and over and over and over againt and it's really quite frustrating.

How do I get around this?  I just want to update the query, all I want to do here, man.  I don't think i'm doing anything wrong because the process is quite simple.

What do I do?  I have deadlines and this is really getting to me.

3 REPLIES 3
KNP
Super User
Super User

I've not come across this issue before but you could try opening the advanced editor for the query instead and paste your query over the existing query in there.

KNP_0-1642538951425.png

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

Thanks for your reply.  This doesn't appear to work, either.  I pasted the updated query and it's hanging now as I write this.  I went out for a walk and just came back in and it's still hanging.

So you pasted in the advanced editor and then clicked ok and then it stopped responding or you pasted and immediately after pasting BEFORE clicking ok it stopped responding?

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.