Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query Editor REALLY SLOW - SQL SERVER CONNECTION

Hello Commnuity. I'm building a data model connecting to a SQL Server dataset. I've performed a lot of steps into the query, merged table, appeneded queries....but now, whenever I open the query editor, it takes forever to load the data so I can keep performing the necessary modifications.  The data model keeps loading and loading...and also, if a perform any changes, it will take a lot of time to load.

Please HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Which connection mode you are using to connect SQL Server? Import or Direct Query? Is the underlying database running smoothly? It is difficult to give a suitable solution without sample data and related execution operations. Because there are many possible reasons(large amount of data, specific applied steps etc.)... You can try the following operations anyway and see if the situation has improved later:
1. Upgrade your Power BI Desktop to the latest version
2. Uncheck background data (File –> Options –>Data Load –>Allow data previews to download in the background)

Any way to speed up really slow refresh times in Power Query?

Uncheck background data.JPG
3. Refer the following blog to update/optimize the report

Optimizing the data model

Transformations in Power Query - Very Slow Performance

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Which connection mode you are using to connect SQL Server? Import or Direct Query? Is the underlying database running smoothly? It is difficult to give a suitable solution without sample data and related execution operations. Because there are many possible reasons(large amount of data, specific applied steps etc.)... You can try the following operations anyway and see if the situation has improved later:
1. Upgrade your Power BI Desktop to the latest version
2. Uncheck background data (File –> Options –>Data Load –>Allow data previews to download in the background)

Any way to speed up really slow refresh times in Power Query?

Uncheck background data.JPG
3. Refer the following blog to update/optimize the report

Optimizing the data model

Transformations in Power Query - Very Slow Performance

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello My Friend. Thanks for the reply. I'm using a EXCEL file as datasource...2 files one with many tabs (65MB) and another one with few more tabs (20MB). I'm appending the tabs together, to merge them in one single table within power query. I've already tried to disable that "Allow data preview to download in the background" and it doesn t let me see the data or manipulate it.

Thanks again.

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description, it seems that there are multiple queries in your original model, and finally you integrate them into a single table through append and merge operations in Power Query Editor. Could you please perform the following operations in your source excel file before connecting the excel file with Power BI:
1. Remove unnecessary columns
2. Can the append and merge operations you perform in power query be completed in excel in advance?

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.