Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NJP01

Power BI to Sharepoint List

Greetings!! 

I am trying to work out if it is possible to "click on a record" in Power BI and then create a new record (automate?) in a SharePoint list. 

Background: 

Every Monday my company sends out a new master Excel Spreadsheet with about 70K records (personnel/people records) in it. I have a Power BI dashboard that ingests that spreadsheet. Each record has an "Employee ID" I can use as a reference/unique ID number. 

My team uses this data to perfomr a bunch of different actions on the people in that list. Right now, my team keeps a record of their actions in a local spreadsheet... and it is cumbersome. 

What I would like to do, is move the "actions taken" spreadsheet to either a Sharepoint list or a Dataverse table. Step 1. is to see if there is an easy way to look at the Power BI report, click on a persons "name" or "employee ID" and use that info to create a new record in SharePoint or Dataverse. In a perfect world I would be able to check if a records was already created (e.g. a second action on same person) and go to it... but, baby steps. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

You're probably going to run into some issues with the new 70k row spreadsheet every day trying to address this... Power Apps will really want a single source of data, preferably not a spreadsheet. 

There's also the option of using the Power Automate visual, which will add a button to your report that when clicked will do actions based on what's selected in your table visual. My issue with that particular visual is that your users NEED to be savvy enough to make sure to select the rows they want to run the actions on, because if they don't select anything it'll run the flow on all the table rows, which if you have 70k will really cause problems 😅. It also doesn't give you a verification box when you click it - just FYI. You could theoretically use it to select employee rows to automate record creation and email the user links to those created "actions" if you wanted to, though. 

Another option - this is not really a beginner thing, but you could use Power BI to create a new-form dynamic hyperlink in your PBI table that goes to a Power Apps form that auto-sets fields based using parameters from data in the Power BI row (e.g. auto-enters the employee ID when creating a task). That way, when they create their task it's linked back to an employee ID without their having to enter it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

You're probably going to run into some issues with the new 70k row spreadsheet every day trying to address this... Power Apps will really want a single source of data, preferably not a spreadsheet. 

There's also the option of using the Power Automate visual, which will add a button to your report that when clicked will do actions based on what's selected in your table visual. My issue with that particular visual is that your users NEED to be savvy enough to make sure to select the rows they want to run the actions on, because if they don't select anything it'll run the flow on all the table rows, which if you have 70k will really cause problems 😅. It also doesn't give you a verification box when you click it - just FYI. You could theoretically use it to select employee rows to automate record creation and email the user links to those created "actions" if you wanted to, though. 

Another option - this is not really a beginner thing, but you could use Power BI to create a new-form dynamic hyperlink in your PBI table that goes to a Power Apps form that auto-sets fields based using parameters from data in the Power BI row (e.g. auto-enters the employee ID when creating a task). That way, when they create their task it's linked back to an employee ID without their having to enter it. 

audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hi! Power BI does not natively have write-back capabilities. However, you can incorporate Power Apps to handle write-back. I am not sure if it can handle your specific use case, but that is your best bet for moving forward since write-back is not a native feature in Power BI.

Power BI data write-back with Power Apps and Power Automate - Azure Architecture Center | Microsoft ...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.