Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TANA
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI refresh with Premium - Limitation Validation

Hi, there:

I would like to have clarification of premium refresh limit. Currently, my company has premium by capacity. From my understanding, that means I can have 48 refreshes per day. I have one PBI report which will exhausts 44 refreshes per day and this 44 refreshes are triggered by Power Automate.  

If I manually refresh one of my other PBI reports, will that count as one of left-over 4 refreshes? To be more specific, when I say manual refresh, I mean to click on the refresh now (like the picture below). Or I open the report in PBI destop, click on refresh. Does any of the two situatio will cost me one more refresh in left-over 4 refreshes opportunities? Please advise. Thanks, 

Capture Power Auto.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Power Automate refreshes would almost certainly be considered an API refresh. These DO count against the 48 as laid out in the documentation. So any combination of API + Scheduled will max out at 48

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Syk
Super User
Super User

Short answer: No, you're good. 

Long answer:
"It's also important to call out that the shared-capacity limitation for daily refreshes applies to both scheduled refreshes and API refreshes combined. You can also trigger an on-demand refresh by selecting Refresh now in the dataset menu, as the following screenshot depicts. On-demand refreshes aren't included in the refresh limitation. Also note that datasets on a Premium capacity don't impose limitations for API refreshes. If you're interested in building your own refresh solution by using the Power BI REST API, see Datasets - Refresh Dataset."

From Microsoft's documentation
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data

Hi, Syk:

Thanks for your response! May I know if Power Automate triggered refreshes are considered to be API refreshes? If yes, then my 44 refreshes triggered by Power Automate won't be counted as part of 48 refreshes, did I understand it right? 

By the way do you mean only the scheduled refreshes be counted toward those 48 refreshes limit? Like the scheduled refreshes operated by the highlighted button below. Please let me know. 

Capture Power Auto.PNG

Sorry to bug you for questions. I am new to both Power BI & Power Automate and would like to learn more. Thanks, 

Power Automate refreshes would almost certainly be considered an API refresh. These DO count against the 48 as laid out in the documentation. So any combination of API + Scheduled will max out at 48

Thanks Syk. That is an awesome document. 👍

I have read thru the document although I am still confused for some terminologies. I need to read thru the document a few more time to digest the knowledge. Not professional trained for this type technical work. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.