Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndyTrezise
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Update

I'm having trouble getting the latest update to PBI desktop....it stopped prompting me for updates a few months ago but I didn't worry too much about it as I just downloaded the latest update from the website as it was made available each month.

I have the auto update notification turned on as shown below.

update.png

I have just 'updated' to the April edition which for some reason was deployed through the app store rather than a standard download/install. However when I look at the version it still says I am using the March update. If I try a second time it just says I already have the app and will not install.

i appear to be stuck !

update2.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
KStrueby
Frequent Visitor

I just went through the same thing.  You can install by downloading the MSI or from the store - Get Power BI Desktop .  I think when I tried to update yesterday it installed the Store version, and I ended up with both my old MSI installed version and the store version on my machine.  So when I launched from my start menu it was still using the old version and telling me updates were available, but when I went to the update site it was saying it was already installed.

I ended up uninstalling my original PBI, then reinstalling from the store.

Incidentally, my dashboard that I have been using for D365 Online for the past month started running extremely slow (from 1 min to 20mins) after this update.  I had to change some data load settings as per some blog posts I found that seems to have helped, but not sure why that would suddenly be required.

View solution in original post

edhans
Super User
Super User

You possibly have both. Go to the Windows Add/Remove Programs and remove Power BI Desktop. If you keep the Windows Store version, you'll always have the latest within a few hrs of them publishing it.

Installing the store version does not remove the MSI version, and that is how you may have both and have different versions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

You possibly have both. Go to the Windows Add/Remove Programs and remove Power BI Desktop. If you keep the Windows Store version, you'll always have the latest within a few hrs of them publishing it.

Installing the store version does not remove the MSI version, and that is how you may have both and have different versions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
KStrueby
Frequent Visitor

I just went through the same thing.  You can install by downloading the MSI or from the store - Get Power BI Desktop .  I think when I tried to update yesterday it installed the Store version, and I ended up with both my old MSI installed version and the store version on my machine.  So when I launched from my start menu it was still using the old version and telling me updates were available, but when I went to the update site it was saying it was already installed.

I ended up uninstalling my original PBI, then reinstalling from the store.

Incidentally, my dashboard that I have been using for D365 Online for the past month started running extremely slow (from 1 min to 20mins) after this update.  I had to change some data load settings as per some blog posts I found that seems to have helped, but not sure why that would suddenly be required.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.