Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

_BI_

Power BI - Schedule refresh

Hi,

I want to refresh the on-prem data in Power BI(Pro) service using "Schedule refresh" more than 8 times a day. Is there any way to achieve that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Manokamna
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

By default, Power BI allows up to 8 scheduled refreshes per day for datasets in Power BI Pro. However, if you need to refresh your data more frequently than that, you can consider upgrading to Power BI Premium or Power BI Embedded, which provide more options for refreshing your data.

With Power BI Premium, you can set up refresh schedules as frequent as every 15 minutes or even trigger refreshes in real-time using DirectQuery or Live Connection.

Alternatively, you can also consider using Power Automate (formerly Microsoft Flow) to refresh your data more frequently. You can create a flow that refreshes your dataset at the desired frequency and triggers it using a timer or other trigger. Note that this approach requires a separate license for Power Automate.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
salvalcaraz
Frequent Visitor

The solution provided is not correct as default limitation for a Premium license is 48 refreshes per day, so a maximum refresh frequence of 30 min. If you want to go beyond that limit you must enable an XMLA Endpoint:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-xmla

Manokamna
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

By default, Power BI allows up to 8 scheduled refreshes per day for datasets in Power BI Pro. However, if you need to refresh your data more frequently than that, you can consider upgrading to Power BI Premium or Power BI Embedded, which provide more options for refreshing your data.

With Power BI Premium, you can set up refresh schedules as frequent as every 15 minutes or even trigger refreshes in real-time using DirectQuery or Live Connection.

Alternatively, you can also consider using Power Automate (formerly Microsoft Flow) to refresh your data more frequently. You can create a flow that refreshes your dataset at the desired frequency and triggers it using a timer or other trigger. Note that this approach requires a separate license for Power Automate.

Hi @Manokamna, may I clarify with you on the 8 scheduled refresh, does this only apply to Import mode?

Right now, I'm planning on using DirectQuery and 'automatic page refresh' to refresh my visualisations by querying for new data. I hope this does not have effects on my visualisation on my client end. Thank you!

This does not seem to be accurate. I have pursued the Premium license in order to refresh my dataset every 15 minutes, however the schedule is still limited to 30 minute refreshes only.

Hello, regarding your comments that "...With Power BI Premium, you can set up refresh schedules as frequent as every 15 minutes...":  We have Power BI Premium per-user licenses and while we have found that up to 48 refreshes can be assigned in a 24 hour period, they still appear to be limited to 30 minute intervals.  Is your 15 minute observation only for Premium Capacity licenses, or is there perhaps something we need to update within our BI Service?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.