Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

009co
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI Report two slicers - when first changes, second slicer retains previously selected item

I have a  Power BI Report with two slicers.

The first slicer filters data by State. The second slicer shows all Cities within that State.

The Cities slicer is set to be a list with "single select".

When I change the State slicer value to another state, the Cities slicer retains the previously selected State city.

The problem with this is that of course with the State filter on, there is no underlying data for the previously selected city so the report has no data with just looks bad eg lots of "(Blank)" values in cards and all charts are blank.

How can I get the Cities slicer to "forget" and deselect the previously selected State's city? Is it possible? Any tips or tricks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Currently not possible I'm afraid. If a value is selected in a slicer, it remains selected even if filtered by another slicer

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

In response to my post, Miguel Myers (MS PM for visuals) says he plans to fix this. For now, the solution I posted works. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks for posting that new workaround -- I plan to try it this week. 

Did Miguel Myers give you any sense for timetable on a better solution? 

Drishti97

Hi All,

I have a similar problem like this. Is there any solution for this in latest version?

Thanks

See if this method posted by @MattAllington in the ExceleratorBI website  works for you:

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/slicer-values-dont-clear-after-changing-a-second-slicer/ 

Paul on Linkedin.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Currently not possible I'm afraid. If a value is selected in a slicer, it remains selected even if filtered by another slicer

Paul on Linkedin.

Circling back to this issue more than a year later -- has there been any update or is there still no solution in sight?  Has anyone figured out a work around? 

I'm dealing with a similar problem where I have one slicer that changes measures in a visual, and a second slicer (toggle) to filter between different units of those measures. 

Yeah I guess it was a long shot.

Of course while it is helpful to know that a selection of filters results in an empty set in this context the use case isn't asking for that knowledge.

Feels like a nice option for a slicer, something like "clear slicer selection and select first value of next filtered results set"

It would need to have some programming to make it hop to one of the first slicer value's second slicer values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.