Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rishic
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server

The organization I work for have power Bi report server and they got that as a part of software assurance I guess.

1. Just want to understand is there any limitation and diffrences the report server have by buying a premiun license and as a part of SA.

2. Is the report server is available for a short duration(say for trail period  or limited time) how can I check that.

3. In the organization every deperatment have its own way of depoying,sharing and using report - Is report server is the best way to consolidate or creating apps for each department.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey,

regarding your 3rd question.

It's not that easy to answer your question, because - it depends on many additional aspects one has to consider.

What I'm trying to understand before I recommend something to my customers is the following:

is the overall goal to create one central data model that support a few different departments which a great overlap in the data model I woluld prefer Power BI Report Server (this "a single point of truth" thing)

If in contrast the overall goal is to serve many different departments as fast as possible, I would prefer the PBI Service solution (this "data is the new oil" thing)

One reason I put this onto my assesment list is the following fact: currently there are no "shared" datasets in the PBI service and it's just possible to create one app from within an app workspace.

And as we know, the truth will something in the middle.

Currently I'm working with a customer who uses both PBI Report Server (if the data has a certain degree of confidentiality) and also with PBI Service (the customer has a Premium Capacity).

We use Premium Apps for large amounts of users and agile requirements, sometimes Premium Apps are sourced with on-premises data.

As you can see, to answer you question is not that easy 🙂

But hopefully this provides some additional ideas.

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rishic,

1. Just want to understand is there any limitation and diffrences the report server have by buying a premiun license and as a part of SA. 

For supported features, there is no difference and limitations between these two ways to purchase Power BI report server license. For cost, you can refer to this thread.

2. Is the report server is available for a short duration(say for trail period  or limited time) how can I check that.

If you installed Power BI report server eveluate edition, it will expire after 180 days.

3. In the organization every deperatment have its own way of depoying,sharing and using report - Is report server is the best way to consolidate or creating apps for each department.

In Power BI Report Server, it is not supported to create apps.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply.

1. So it is like if you ahve enterprise edition of SQL server(with SA or as sales negotation), Power BI report server is free for you?

2. If the organization contiue to have enterprise edition, then the report server would be available till that time?

3. Yes, I understand that so just want to ask which way is better for Organizational reporting, report server or using power BI apps in PBI services?

Hey,

regarding your 3rd question.

It's not that easy to answer your question, because - it depends on many additional aspects one has to consider.

What I'm trying to understand before I recommend something to my customers is the following:

is the overall goal to create one central data model that support a few different departments which a great overlap in the data model I woluld prefer Power BI Report Server (this "a single point of truth" thing)

If in contrast the overall goal is to serve many different departments as fast as possible, I would prefer the PBI Service solution (this "data is the new oil" thing)

One reason I put this onto my assesment list is the following fact: currently there are no "shared" datasets in the PBI service and it's just possible to create one app from within an app workspace.

And as we know, the truth will something in the middle.

Currently I'm working with a customer who uses both PBI Report Server (if the data has a certain degree of confidentiality) and also with PBI Service (the customer has a Premium Capacity).

We use Premium Apps for large amounts of users and agile requirements, sometimes Premium Apps are sourced with on-premises data.

As you can see, to answer you question is not that easy 🙂

But hopefully this provides some additional ideas.

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.