Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mak82pk
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Embedded Data set refresh for Pro

Dear Sir/Madam,

I know for Power BI free version dataset refresh frequency is only once daily  and for Pro is 8 times a day. Now if I set refresh frequency to 15min then how it works to refresh 8 times a day? 

Also Embeded URL takes approx an hour to reflect the last change in dataset.

I need to know how I can configure the time to start data refresh?  

I couldnt find how to configure dataset refresh under Datasets panel as shown below: 

dataset setting.JPG

I couldnt find how to configure dataset refresh. 

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @mak82pk,

if I am using direct-query for SQL database on my server [not Azure SQL DB] configured by on-premises gateway there is no limit for data refresh?

Yes. If your dataset is configured for a DirectQuery connection, there is no need to configure scheduled refresh, and datasets are refreshed approximately each hour or when interaction with the data occurs.

Also, can I get real-time data using the same?

To get up to date data, you should connect to data source in Direct Query mode.

When using direct-query is there still a limit for 1 GB upload? 

Yes. That means the dataset of a single pbix file you are going to publish must be smaller than 1 GB. And in the case that your pbix file is less than 1GB when importing it to Power BI service, but the data model grows beyond 1 GB after a period of time, you will still get the limitation message when refreshing the dataset.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @mak82pk,

Would you please kindly mark the helpful reply as an answer so that it can benefit more users? If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mak82pk,

The refresh options as shown on above image you provided only apply to direct connected data source in the cloud.  For the DirectQuery/Live connection, you can set the refresh frequency from 15 minutes to weekly using the associated drop-down menu. Reference: Databases in the cloud

For pro license, schedule refresh is only allowed 8 times (8 is the maximum value) a day means that we can set less than 8 specific time. Please see below image. (Dataset->Scheduled refresh->Add another time) Reference: Configuring scheduled refresh

3.PNG

By the way, it seems that Power BI Embedded doesn't support scheduled refresh. Reference: How to schedule a refresh of the Power BI embedded report

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

If I get it right, if I am using direct-query for SQL database on my server [not Azure SQL DB] configured by on-premises gateway there is no limit for data refresh?

The reference you provided

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/How-to-schedule-a-refresh-of-the-Power-...

When using direct-query is there still a limit for 1 GB upload? As only the dataset will be updated with new records, not the whole dataset.

image.png

Hi @mak82pk,

Would you please kindly mark the helpful reply as an answer so that it can benefit more users? If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Hi @mak82pk,

if I am using direct-query for SQL database on my server [not Azure SQL DB] configured by on-premises gateway there is no limit for data refresh?

Yes. If your dataset is configured for a DirectQuery connection, there is no need to configure scheduled refresh, and datasets are refreshed approximately each hour or when interaction with the data occurs.

To get up to date data, you should connect to data source in Direct Query mode.

When using direct-query is there still a limit for 1 GB upload? 

Yes. That means the dataset of a single pbix file you are going to publish must be smaller than 1 GB. And in the case that your pbix file is less than 1GB when importing it to Power BI service, but the data model grows beyond 1 GB after a period of time, you will still get the limitation message when refreshing the dataset.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.