Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Vickar
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI : Dynamic Colors for TopN values on Clutered Column Chart

Requirement: Assign dynamic colors to the subcategory values on the clustered column chart.

Background: The chart shows Top 6 subcategories by SalesAmount and rest other categories as Others. There is a filter on subcategory in the filter pane on All Pages level

Partial Solution & the Problem: I have created a measure [SelectedSubcategoryColor] that does returns dynamic colors but it only works when more than 5 subcategories are selected. If less than 5 subcategories are selected, then the visual breaks. I want the visual to work even if 1 subcategory is selected

Below is the screenshot of the problem
Visual breaks if less than 5 values are selected.png

here is the link to the pbix file 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vickar
Advocate I
Advocate I

shout-out to Amira Bedhiafi for providing the solution on stackoverflow 
Below is the DAX solution to the problem in the [SelectedSubcategoryColor] measure

SelectedSubcategoryColor =
VAR _CurrentSubcategory = SELECTEDVALUE ( Subcategory[SubcategoryName] )
VAR _AllSubcategories = ALLSELECTED( Subcategory )
VAR _CurrentRank = RANKX( _AllSubcategories, [Sales], , DESC )
RETURN
    SWITCH(
        TRUE(),
        _CurrentRank = 1, "Red",
        _CurrentRank = 2, "Green",
        _CurrentRank = 3, "Blue",
        _CurrentRank = 4, "Orange",
        _CurrentRank = 5, "Purple",
        _CurrentRank = 6, "Yellow",
        _CurrentSubcategory = "Others", "Grey",
        "Black"
    )

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Vickar
Advocate I
Advocate I

shout-out to Amira Bedhiafi for providing the solution on stackoverflow 
Below is the DAX solution to the problem in the [SelectedSubcategoryColor] measure

SelectedSubcategoryColor =
VAR _CurrentSubcategory = SELECTEDVALUE ( Subcategory[SubcategoryName] )
VAR _AllSubcategories = ALLSELECTED( Subcategory )
VAR _CurrentRank = RANKX( _AllSubcategories, [Sales], , DESC )
RETURN
    SWITCH(
        TRUE(),
        _CurrentRank = 1, "Red",
        _CurrentRank = 2, "Green",
        _CurrentRank = 3, "Blue",
        _CurrentRank = 4, "Orange",
        _CurrentRank = 5, "Purple",
        _CurrentRank = 6, "Yellow",
        _CurrentSubcategory = "Others", "Grey",
        "Black"
    )

MohTawfik
Resolver I
Resolver I

MohTawfik_0-1692534798691.png

@Vickar  I've done a different solution using ranking, getting rid of "others"
check the attached file!
hope this solves your issue
Dynamic Colors for TopN values on Column Chart.pbix

@MohTawfik, appreciate your feedback. "Others" is a part of the requirement. cannot be eliminated.

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Vickar  As per your problem statement , you are trying to select less than 6 , when it has to be static what is the purpose of reducing the number of elements.

The example which I shared is working with all slicer values even when I select 1 it shows 1 value + others 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CaSISzxacCwRldbqx7PLo1nyckrprPXk/view?usp=sharing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

the requirement is to show max 7 data elements on the visual if more than 6 subcategories are selected ( 6 topn and rest as others )
And it is a valid use case that the user can select less than 6 subcategories. the issue is not with [TopNSubcategorySales] measure. it is working fine for all scenarios. the issue is with the [SelectedSubcategoryColor] measure that assigns colors dynamically to the subcategories on the visual. this measure is breaking the visual if less than 5 subcategories are selected. I hope the issue is clearer now. Appreciate your efforts and support. And I double checked your solution, the visual is still breaking if I select less values in hte filter pane.

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Vickar 

Look at the change in TOPN formula , i have changed the number 6 with a slicer value

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

@VijayP appreciate your feedback. The problem persists though. If I select less than 5 subcategories from the filter pane, the visual still breaks. Also, as part of the requirement, the visual should show max 7 data elements, 6 topn and rest as others. So the topn shouldn't come from the slicer, it should be static value as 6

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.