Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ocean_PowerBI
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop is Removing All My Page Tabs When I Save

I have a Power BI project that I use to make a lot of different views and have around 10-12 pages for various reports. The last time everything worked fine was on 1/26/21. On 1/27/21 I opened my project and found that ALL of the pages were gone and that Page 1 was the only thing left. All of my queries were still there so I thought maybe it just didn't save correctly. So I recovered from an autosave that was a little behind where I left off and remade the last page I was working on. I saved that one thinking everything was good. The next day I got the same thing. So today I was doing some testing and research, but didn't find anyone with a similar problem.

So I decided to try a few things. I recovered from a backup prior to the 26th and it opened correctly. I saved that file, closed PBI Desktop and opened the file again and saw the same problem. I recovered from an autosave, save the file on the network and on my desktop and both files did the same thing. I also tested changing themes and the theme did not update. I've rebooted my machine, I've reinstalled the application, and it stays the same.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have seen this, but not recently. I don't think it is a file corruption, so recovery may not be the best option. I think it may be a screen resolution bug/issue. You say you rebooted - that's what I would suggest. Watch out for swapping monitors without rebooting/restarting the app. The app doesn't resize to different monitors well. Make sure you have the latest version. You could also try saving as a template and then creating a new file from there (just in case there is something corrupt. That may help (not sure). 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I have seen this, but not recently. I don't think it is a file corruption, so recovery may not be the best option. I think it may be a screen resolution bug/issue. You say you rebooted - that's what I would suggest. Watch out for swapping monitors without rebooting/restarting the app. The app doesn't resize to different monitors well. Make sure you have the latest version. You could also try saving as a template and then creating a new file from there (just in case there is something corrupt. That may help (not sure). 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

I did another reinstall of the x64 desktop client and worked on a restored copy of the file again and it appears to be working now. At first I thought it might have been from me updating a sql query from the advanced settings, but I was able to duplicate that action and the file saved correctly. It could have been some corruption of some of the PowerBI files because the install wiped out all my temp files as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.