Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ji
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop Freezing on Macbook Pro M1 via Parallels after Attempting Sign-in

Hello Power BI Community,

I am currently experiencing an issue while running Power BI Desktop on my MacBook Pro M1 through Parallels Desktop. Each time I attempt to sign into my Power BI account, the software freezes right after I enter my email address. This occurs consistently, without fail, every single time.

Here's the sequence of my actions:

1. Open Power BI Desktop via Parallels Desktop.
  2. Click on the 'Sign in' button.
  3. Enter my account's email address.

After these steps, Power BI Desktop becomes unresponsive and hangs indefinitely.

I have tried reinstalling Power BI Desktop and Parallels Desktop to no avail. I've also tried creating a new virtual machine on Parallels and installing Power BI there, but the problem persists.

My MacBook Pro M1 is up to date with the latest macOS version, and my Parallels Desktop software is also the most recent version.

I would appreciate any guidance or troubleshooting steps you could provide to help resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,

Jandi

14 REPLIES 14
Law_ORiley

It really annoys me when my Mac starts to freeze, information, apps and web pages take too long to load and all that. If the operation of apps often depends on some specific reasons, then the browser may freeze due to poor Wi-Fi. If this happens to you too, I advise you to check article https://setapp.com/how-to/improve-wifi-speed-on-mac. Maybe these tips will be useful to you to improve wifi speed.

void101x
Frequent Visitor

Sup guys,

Possible solution that worked for me today (21st September 2023):

I had a video call directly with Microsoft support on the following Issue I have had for the past few months:

Problem: Sign-in for any Power BI desktop version after April 2023 doesn't work.

Context: Started the app -> Clicked on "Sign In" -> Typed in my company email -> Clicked on the "Next" button -> Popup window closes & the app freezes -> Have to forcefully quit it from task manager.

My temporary fix for all these months was to uninstall all Power BI apps I had, & reinstall an older version that worked, in this case, it was April 2023.

However after speaking with Microsoft support today, there's a new solution:

1. Uninstall all Power BI apps you have currently installed

2. Go on the "Microsoft Store" app & install the "Power BI Desktop" app (Not "Power BI")

3. Open the installed app

4. "File" -> "Options and Settings" -> "Options" -> In the "Global" section, select "Security" -> Check the following 2 options:

a. "Use my default web browser"
b. "Use updated sign-in experience"

void101x_0-1695357828969.png

After that, it should work fine.

- Hex

Yes this worked! Please fix this Microsoft I just spent an hour on support with Parallels as this ended up crashing my VM totally. 

Either that or make an app for Mac!

THANK YOU! I followed your instructions (including a reboot after uninstalling Power BI) and it all worked perfectly. 

Fantastic! 

I did not uninstall and reinstall, but I follow your instruction on changing the two setting, now the windows pop-up appear! Thank you!

Philcollins1000
Regular Visitor

Any solution as yet - I am still getting the same issue a month on...

I just upgraded to the new Parallels and tried reinstalling the August update of PowerBI from the Microsoft Store but it still hangs after entering email to sign in. I went back to the link to download previous versions

and installed the 32-bit June 2023 version and got that to work. Then I uninstalled that and downloaded the most recent (August 2023) version (32-bit) and installed that manually (not from the Microsoft store) and I got that to work. So, I guess it's just the 64-bit that has the issue. Not ideal to be forced to use the 32-bit version but it's better than nothing.

Still the same. 😞

MarcelDybalski

Hi All,
Is there already any solution for that?

TaylorClark
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@ji Once Desktop is hanging, could you open the Task Manager, find the PBIDesktop.exe process, then right-click > Create dump. If you DM me the dmp file we should be able to diagnose the problem. 

The Dump file was over 1.5GB, even after zipping is over 400MB. 
However, is it normal to have that many processes running even when PBI Desktop was just launched and no file was opened? Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 6.04.29 PM.png

I also made an observation that if I keyed in a wrong email, or an email which has no subscription to Power BI, the sign in failed quickly, only when I signed in with my work email (valid Pro account) then this freezes.

ChrisBSmith

Same issue here. I rolled back to the March version and got it working again, but when I updated to the June release the problem still hasn't been fixed. Is anyone from Microsoft even aware of this?

I had March version on my Surface but somehow when trying to opened some report, it wouldn't open as it was created with a newer version! 😞

Did you now revert back to March version? Where can I download it for my Mac?

kreeestopher

I have exactly the same issue on my MacBook Pro M1 as well, problem started in the last week unsure if it was the latest Parallel Destop update, still no solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.