Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Dnolting

Power BI Datasets not visible in Paginated Reports

I have several published data sources in a Power BI workspace, but when I try to access the data sets through Power BI Report Writer, none of them appear.

Dnolting_0-1665595928003.png

Dnolting_1-1665595977893.png

4 REPLIES 4
Jpup7
Regular Visitor

@Dnolting @amitchandak 

I too had this issue where the dataset would not appear in Paginated Report builder, as you can see in the screenshot below. 

Jpup7_0-1666115543539.png

But as you can see ....

Jpup7_1-1666115688663.png

To get around this issue, I was able to select "Add Data Source" not "Add Power BI Data Connection" then do the following. 

1. Go back to Power BI, and open the Data Source Settings Menu

Jpup7_2-1666115919901.png

2. From the Server Settings Area, copy the connection string.

Jpup7_3-1666116069471.png

3. Back in Paginated Report Builder keep the connection type as Microsoft SQL Server, and PASTE in the Connection String, and THEN switch the connection type to Power BI Dataset, you will see that the connection string section is greyed out, but still has the connection string you pasted in. You can then click "Test Connection" and you should be good to go. 

Jpup7_4-1666116764354.png

olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This only seems to be applicable to datasets published outside of the My Workspace as Server Settings is not available on datasets published there.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Dnolting , Make sure the login has permission. I hope this is the name of the dataset too. If report use data dataset then we will not have new dataset

Also check issues, as the same issue was reported for Power bi, some datasets are not visible : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Looks like I have access to older Workspace datasets.  Anything new that I create and pubish does not appear.  I can create a paginated report directly from the dataset, but I want to update an existing dataset within a paginated report and I do not see any way to do this.  Should I add this under Issues?

Dnolting_0-1665685738789.png

Dnolting_1-1665685867476.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.