Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomas12344
Helper II
Helper II

Powe5r BI Desktop with SAP BW connector Direct Qurery mode

HI All

Have a customer, which want to use PBI with SAP BW connector in direct query mode. The connection is build, but i think something is not correct configured, because i get date values formated as text. I would like to ask you for some tips, what to check, setup,... I never used SAP nor the SAP connector.

- is this problem on the SAP BW side? the only thing, i can change is the setting of locale in my PBI. When i set en_EN, i can get the data, but the date is formated as text. Becuase of the limitation, i cannot change the format. I have also chosen de_DE, but i get error, when aplying this change.

- what need to be set on the SAP BW side? any idea. I dont know, if the colleagues whould know, what to setup.

Thanky for any adevice

Tomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tomas12344 

You couldn't change date column type because it has hit the following restriction. For more restrictions about connecting to SAP BW using DirectQuery, please refer to DirectQuery and SAP Business Warehouse (BW) in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The primary additional modeling restrictions when connecting to SAP BW using DirectQuery in Power BI are the following:

• Column and measure details are fixed: The list of columns and measures seen in the field list are fixed by the underlying source, and cannot be modified. For example, it is not possible to delete a column, nor change its datatype (it can, however, be renamed).

According to this reason, you need to change column type and format in SAP BW. I don't have experience in SAP BW. You could seek help from SAP Help Portal or SAP Community or do some google searching. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JyothsnaTummala
Frequent Visitor

Hi ,

I am also working with customer who want to use PBI with SAP BW connector in direct query mode. In BW date fields are defined as DATS but in Power BI using Direct Query mode, date fields are formatted as text.

I could not have an option to change data type .

My requirement is to perform YTD calculations in report file. Please let me know ,if this requirement is feasible ? and help me in suggesting the approach.

Thanks in advance

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tomas12344 

You couldn't change date column type because it has hit the following restriction. For more restrictions about connecting to SAP BW using DirectQuery, please refer to DirectQuery and SAP Business Warehouse (BW) in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The primary additional modeling restrictions when connecting to SAP BW using DirectQuery in Power BI are the following:

• Column and measure details are fixed: The list of columns and measures seen in the field list are fixed by the underlying source, and cannot be modified. For example, it is not possible to delete a column, nor change its datatype (it can, however, be renamed).

According to this reason, you need to change column type and format in SAP BW. I don't have experience in SAP BW. You could seek help from SAP Help Portal or SAP Community or do some google searching. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.