Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TeeGee
Helper II
Helper II

Possible to programmatically or dynamically change column names (ie: different language)

From my reading on the topic so far, there is currently no way in Power BI to handle a requirement to release versions of a pbix file with the table and column names in the model translated to a different language.  The closest approach I've come across is a means of making the column names dynamic, but this then breaks any visuals that were created using the prior names.

Unless I'm mistaken (am I???), this seems like a very large shortcoming in the product and I'd think would justify a feature request.

Does anyone happen to know the definitive state of affairs on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @TeeGee,

I would suggest you vote up this idea or create a new one.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @TeeGee,

I would suggest you vote up this idea or create a new one.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

Are you a Microsoft employee?  Or have a direct line of contact?

I feel quite certain this very simple approach would provide a workable solution with very little implementation cost, could you try to pass it along?  (I also added it to the idea you linked, thanks for pointing that out).

Ruth points out here that it appears that the physical column names (as opposed to an id or guid) are what's used to bind the model to visuals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJryD2dXVVw

Changing this to instead bind on an id (and store the textual name elsewhere) seems like it could be an incredibly difficult change as it would be very deep in the core of Power BI. But what about this approach.....as we know, we can already change table and column names in the Power BI user interface and it works just fine. All that implementation works perfectly well. So, rather than making deep fundamental changes to bind on id's, why not just provide a simple API **to the very same code that the existing Power BI user interface calls today**? Would everything not then work exactly as it does today when a user manually calls it by right clicking and doing a rename?

Example:

var powerBI = new PowerBIApplication(); 
var myModel = powerBI.OpenModel("c:\users\Jimbo\Desktop\AwesomeModel.pbix"); 
myModel.RenameTable("OldTableName", "NewTableName"); 
myModel.RenameColumn("NewTableName", "OldColumnName", "NewColumnName"); 
myModel.Save(); 
myModel.Close();

I can't think of a good reason why that wouldn't work.....am I overlooking something?

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.