Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Daryl_K
Resolver II
Resolver II

Possible to concat an Excel workbook and SharePoint list in one table?

I have a Power BI report that has as one of its data sources a SharePoint list. The sheer volume of items going into this list forces the guy who manages it to do periodic archives, where he takes everything on the list more than 90 days old, copies it to an Excel workbook that is stored in a SharePoint folder, then delete these same items from the "live" list.

I built the report nicely around the list connection, but now want to extend it to look at archived items. As noted the workbook is online, so I have already established a connection to it. Because the sources are the same the columns align, but in order to avoid re-coding hundreds of DAX columns that currently point to the table from the SharePoint list connection I am wondering if it's possible to append the Excel-sourced table to the end. If this works my reports, visuals, etc. should work unchanged.

Is this possible? Keeping in mind both sources can update at any time, can I put two different data sources into one table?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Daryl_K 

It is absolutely possible if the columns match across both tables. Simply pull in the second table and in Query Editor, append the table.  You can disable load on the second table to reduce file size.

Keep in mind that DAX works after the query load. If you append in Query Editor, your DAX would not change. 

If, however, you mean that you want to keep the work you completed in "M" in query editor as opposed to DAX in powerbi, simply move to the top of the applied steps in the query editor and append earlier.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Daryl_K 

It is absolutely possible if the columns match across both tables. Simply pull in the second table and in Query Editor, append the table.  You can disable load on the second table to reduce file size.

Keep in mind that DAX works after the query load. If you append in Query Editor, your DAX would not change. 

If, however, you mean that you want to keep the work you completed in "M" in query editor as opposed to DAX in powerbi, simply move to the top of the applied steps in the query editor and append earlier.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks. I had not messed much with query editors, and to make things worse when he slices large parts of the list out to paste into the Excel "archive" file some columns are renamed and reordered. Here's what I did though:

Established a connection to the Excel Archive file then created a table in Power Query. I went back and forth between the table formed by the original SharePoint list and the one from the Excel file and deleted any unnecessary columns I wasn't using (just to ease confusion), re-ordered and/or renamed columns so that the two had the same number of columns, same headers names, etc. and then finally appended the Archive table onto the "live" SharePoint list table.

This works beautifully because I did not have to change any DAX code. When his SharePoint list gets too large and he moves portions to the Archive Excel workbook it still remains in my one source table, since it is comprised of both sources. And now my report has a historical record too!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.