Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Rose_
Frequent Visitor

Pinned tile not updating the last refresed data

Hi all,

I read a lot of posts about pinned tiles but I don't find the solution that I'm looking for. Following the explanation: 

I have to pin different tables from more or less 4 different reports to a unique dasboard. I only have to pin one table for each entire report page. The original reports are automatically updated each week. Then the dashboard created from the pinned tiles must be updated because it's a dashboard followed by a team every week. 

The current problem it's that I create a dashboard with individual tiles from different reports. These reports are updated but the dashboard it's not. I know that if I delete the tile and I pin it again the tile will be update but what I need is the update to be automatic since we use power BI to avoid people to manipulate the data. I also know that if I pin the entire page this is updated but it's not the solution that I'm looking for since I only need a specific information from a tile. 

I attach some draw to visualize what is the problem:

Current situation: case that we are on week 30, the dasboard created from tiles is not updated

Rose__1-1626271522794.png

Wished and expected situation: every week when the reports are updated, the dashboard must be automatically updated 

Rose__2-1626271573463.png

I ask for help to know if what I'm looking for is not possible with the most updated power BI version or if there's a chance to program or do something that make it works as I need..

many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Rose_ ,

I created a relative date slicer, and my dashboard tiles can be updated normally. I haven't found the reason why your tiles cannot be updated. Maybe you can try adding a page-level relative date filter to see if it works.

vkkfmsft_0-1627028497341.png

Best Regards,
Winniz

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rose_ ,

Tiles in dashboard are the snapshot of your data. For example, if the data in your table is updated from "WK 1 TO WK 29" to "WK 1 TO WK 30", then the data in the tiles will be updated. But if in the report you filter week from 29 to 30 in slicer, then tiles in dashboard would still continue to show "WK 1 TO WK 29".

Referencing: Solved: Dashboard tiles don't automatically update when updated report is published 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-kkf-msft ,

first of all thanks for answering. If I understood correctly from the solved post is that tiles are static foto and never will be updated? and seems to be a problem at least from 2016 and not solved in 2021.. I know that pinning an entire page will work fine but I can't do this since I have 4 tables in 4 different original reports with different data base and I have to pin only one specific table in a unique dashboard page, unfortunatly I can't pin 4 pages since I need the information summarized in only one page for an important weekly report..

in case that I didn't understand clearly, I give you a real example of what happens:

for example: my tile was pinned to a dashboard with the original report filtered only from year 2021 month june and day from 19th to 30th

Rose__1-1626421751507.png

then I go the the original report where the data is updated filtering dates takingthe last 30 days. The original report shows all data like this:  

Rose__2-1626421893461.png

but if I go to the dashboard, the tile is not updated, it's still showing old data

Rose__3-1626421952421.png

I hope I could explain it clearly..

regards!

Hi @Rose_ ,

The tiles in dashboard cannot be scrolled up and down. Please enlarge the size to check if any data is hided.

image.png

vkkfmsft_0-1626758868347.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hello, 

I attach the images, they were already enlarged but still not updated, it persists the same situation as I explain before.. the tile is not updating the data with the original.

dashboard, tile: only from 19 to 30th june, it doesn't update the july data

Rose__0-1626776269880.png

original report: updated until 20 july

Rose__1-1626776385972.png

please tell me if you don't understand what I mean.

kind regards

Rosa

Hi @Rose_ ,

Is there any slicer or filter in the report to filter this visual?

If so, have these slicers or filters changed since the tiles were pined?

Best Regards,
Winniz

hi @v-kkf-msft  thank you for answering.

the original report has this type of filter of "relative date" showing the last 31 days. I read in one post that seemed that this filter could help to update tiles but for me it's not working 😞 

Rose__0-1626866229360.png

this means that in the report takes 31 days. When I pinned the tile I think I had less days visualized but the filter type was the same. If the original report has last 31 days, the tile should show this data updated isn't it? since I'm not changing the chart type.

regards,

Rose

Hi @Rose_ ,

I created a relative date slicer, and my dashboard tiles can be updated normally. I haven't found the reason why your tiles cannot be updated. Maybe you can try adding a page-level relative date filter to see if it works.

vkkfmsft_0-1627028497341.png

Best Regards,
Winniz

Hi @v-kkf-msft , 

thank you again for your technical support 🙂 

the relative date filter works fine setting it to as a filter to this page. One of the tile problem for one original report is solved.

The only problem that I have left is for other original report that I have which I can't set a relative filter because the user needs to decide which information it is shown. From the example that I gave on the beggining, from the other original reports where I also pinned some tiles I have a normal date set as a filter but for this type of filter the tile is not refreshing the information. 

example, I have this filter on the original report page:

Rose__1-1627303637059.png

and it is also add as a "filter to this page" (even all dates are selected the mandatory filter is the one above)

Rose__2-1627303692337.png

I pin the tile to the dashboard and it shows from 1 to 26/07 which is correct. 

Rose__3-1627303807875.png

then the original report is saved with a different date range because the person decide to show more information from previous month so the date filter is now: 

Rose__0-1627303591673.png

on the original report the information shown is june + july:

Rose__5-1627303967061.png

but If I go to the dashboard, click no refresh button I can only see the initial information that I had when I pin it

Rose__6-1627304348779.png

could be that an individual tile is only updated with a relative filter and it doesn't work with any other type of filter date? 

If you still have the Power BI example that you showed me before, could you please do the same change to the filter to see if it's power BI limitation or some error to my report? 

thank you again for your tech support.

best regards,

Rose

Hi @Rose_ ,

This is a known limitation. Changing this slicer in the report cannot update the date range displayed by the tiles in the dashboard.

Best Regards,
Winniz

hi @v-kkf-msft  thanks for reply.

this means that the tiles pinned only work with relative dates filter and not with a normal date filter range like the following? 

Rose__0-1627487406906.png

best regards, 

Rose

Hi @Rose_ ,

Yes, you are right. If you want the normal date filter to work, you need pin a live page or use dynamic M query parameters to filter the data source (Only some data sources can use it). 

Best Regards,
Winniz

hi @v-kkf-msft  thank you very much,

I hope one day power BI includes a normal date filter also as an option to update tiles without the need to pin the life page..

I will check if this link can also help me with the normal date filter, if not I will try to combine relative filter somehow..

thank you very much for your help,

best regards,

Rose

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.