Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Lipo47

Permission Settings for Embedded Power BI Reports in BC

Hello,

I have connected my Power BI PRO account and my Business Central (Cloud) then i created my reports in Power BI.

My reports are saved in "My Workspace" in Power BI. I want to share this reports as embed in BC. However, I have a question:

Some of these reports will be specific to users. For example, sales report should not be seen by users working in the warehouse. How can I manage the permissions here?

Note: BC users have a Pro license.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Lipo47 

Thanks for @HikingBIKing reply. If you want to implement the operation of assigning permissions so that different users can view different content, you can consider using RLS, the specific steps you can refer to the following document.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn
Row-level security (RLS) guidance in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

HikingBIKing

Hi @Lipo47 

A couple of pointers:

1. If you intend to share reports with other users, you should upload them to a workspace other than "My Workspace". The main reason is in case you are off and a colleague needs to take responsibility of the report(s) you have built, they would not be able to access "My Workspace", which is completely personal to each user.
  2. Granting access to a report to a group of users is much easier if you create AD groups containing the lists of users. For example, create a Sales AD group and a Warehouse AD group.
  3. When creating the link to embed a report in BC, do not use the option "Publish to web". This creates a completely public link that anyone can access, and therefore would not meet your requirements.
  4. When you Share your report with users (or a group of users via an AD group), disable the ability for users to share the report with other people. This enable you can closely control who has access. 
  5. When the report is embedded, users should be prompted to sign-in before they are able to view the report. If they do not have access (as provided in step 4) the report will not load for them.

Thanks for the answer @HikingBIKing ,

I have created a new workspace and group. Then i have added that group to new workspace. My BC user is able to see this report but if i check with the another user assigned to this group, i am not able to see this report. Is there any other permission?

And i could not find the permission settings to disable user to share the report with another users.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.