Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ElenaGrom
Frequent Visitor

Pass direct user input as a value to a measure

Hello, Community

I have a fact table "Range" (whole numbers) like the below example. The values start from 0 and end with 2 billions.

There is only a couple of thousand unique values for each range, but the gaps between the previous and current range do not have any logic.

Requriement:

The user must be able to type in any values as a range he wants to check. The system must be able to accept the exact input, even if the exact values are not present in the table.

So far I created 2 DISTINCT tables, 1 for RangeFrom, 1 for RangeTo, with no relation to FACT. I use them as slicers to a table visual. One slicer is "less than or equal to", the other is "greater than or equal to". I have a measuer that calculates resulting scenarios with 3 options: "included", "excluded", "partial".

Due to the big diversity of values i can't create any underlyig table(s) that would include all possible values. What IF parameter is also not an option for the same reason.

Therefore, I am stuck with the following result:

Range-Forum.jpg

Is there any way to achieve the deisered result?
Or, to narrow down the topic - is there any way to pass on the exact value set by the user into a measure?

Your ideas will be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ElenaGrom Could you create a disconnected table like below and use it in a range slicer? Then adjust your measure to respect the range?

Table = GENERATESERIES(1, 2000000000,1)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello, @Greg_Deckler 

Thank you for the offered option!

From the BI desktop I tried to create the GENERATESERIES table, but due to the numbers diversity in the source (0 -> billions) I ended up with "out of memory" message.

I think, this is not an option for my case, or is there a way to optimize?

Thank you in advance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.