Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

zebra
Helper II
Helper II

Paginated Report making the Cartesian product despite of correct relations among tables

Hi I have a very simple query about paginated report behavior. I have a three tables in power bi desktop with the following data as shown below

Person Table

Person travel History

zebra_0-1704814109839.png

zebra_1-1704814109841.png

Reason

zebra_0-1704814301930.png

The relation among these tables are follow

zebra_1-1704814319866.png

When I created the paginated report using the published dataset, Its shows me incorrect data as shown below. The paginated report shows that it is making the Cartesian product among these tables.

zebra_2-1704814341982.png

On further investigation, I found that designer generated the following query.

EVALUATE SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Person'[Id], 'Person'[Name], 'PersonReasons'[TravelReason], 'PersonTravelHistory'[city], "cnt", [cnt])

Please let me know how to fix it and shows the correct data as we have in the original table according to the relation.

Thanks

zeebee

8 REPLIES 8
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What is your reasoning for separating the Travel History and the Reason tables?  Shouldn't they be a single table?

@lbendlin 

this is how I recieve the database, secondly there is no relation in between these tables. it may possible that one of these table have entry and other do not. the important there here is both are child of person table.

You can have a Reason entry without a corresponding Travel entry?

there can be travel entry without reason entry.

combine the tables and accept that the reason field may be empty

would you please provide the complete steps or better to provide the pibx file and rdl files for better understanding?

thanks

lbendlin_0-1705000011171.pnglbendlin_1-1705000053478.png

Please provide the rdl file ( paginated report file) that uses power bi data set.  its work well in pbix file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.