Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ANNING
Helper I
Helper I

PBI present irrelevant information when a visualisation bar is selected

Hi all,

I have a question and am wondering if my DAX having problem. Hope you can help. Thanks.

BACKGROUND -

I have a table consists of all work item objects (EPIC, Feature, etc.) classified by 3 status (NEW, ACTIVE and DONE)

Top Table 1.JPG

My data modelling consists only one table dataset with link to Time Intelligent Date table.

Next, I have another section consists of three visualization to shown the story points for last three months categorized by status NEW, ACTIVE and DONE and each of the 3 visualizations are further classified into work item objects (i.e. EPIC, Feature, Story, etc.)

Second table 1.JPG

PROBLEMS -

The problem arises when I clicks my cursor on the second visualization (i.e. Story Points last 3 mth (Active). When I click the October 2020 bar (refer to screen below circled in red), Power BI strangely present all the non-relevant information in other visualization (circled in blue).
When I clicked the bar, it is related to all story points fall under October 2020 and belong to Active status. Hence, I would expect other visualization only show the relevant information. In this case the two October bar which are status NEW and DONE get highlighted automatically and all the above visualization presents the NEW and DONE status for each object.

QUESTION - How to achieve the following outcome indicated in the figure below?

Fotth table.JPG

The following are the DAX on the top Six visualization:

ANNING_3-1602051349633.png

totalEpicActive = Calculate(count('Work Items - All history'[Work Item Type]),

filter(ALL('Work Items - All history'[Work Item Type],

'Work Items - All history'[Status]),

AND('Work Items - All history'[Work Item Type] = "Epic",

'Work Items - All history'[Status] = "Active")

)

)

Each of the table visualization have similar criteria filtered by work item type and status. The Dax for all 6 visualization is similar except the filtering piece

a.JPG

The following are the DAX on the three visualization:

b.JPG

StoryPtActiveStory = Calculate('Work Items - All history'[totalStoryPointAllstatus],

filter(ALL('Work Items - All history'[Work Item Type],

'Work Items - All history'[Status]),

AND('Work Items - All history'[Work Item Type] = "Stories",

'Work Items - All history'[Status] = "Active")

)

)

Each of the Work items has its own measure with the criteria filtered by work item type and status. The Dax for all the 3 visualization is similar except the filtering piece

C.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ANNING 

Your measure use All function in Status column, so your visuals will return to all Status even if you select the Stack column visual(Active). You may try to avoid using all.

IF your Data model is like this you don't need to build measures to achieve your goal.

1.png

You can build visuals directly and use count in Values.

2.png

And add Status in Filers to filter Active, New or Done for each visual.

2.png

Result:

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: PBI present irrelevant information when a visualisation bar is selected

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ANNING 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ANNING 

Your measure use All function in Status column, so your visuals will return to all Status even if you select the Stack column visual(Active). You may try to avoid using all.

IF your Data model is like this you don't need to build measures to achieve your goal.

1.png

You can build visuals directly and use count in Values.

2.png

And add Status in Filers to filter Active, New or Done for each visual.

2.png

Result:

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: PBI present irrelevant information when a visualisation bar is selected

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have a look at your data model view, specifically the direction of the search filters. Maybe somewhere you have inadvertently set a filter to bidirectional when you wanted to make it unidirectional. "Normally" filters should flow from the "dimensions" to the "facts".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.