Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Robert7728
Frequent Visitor

Oracle Connection Error

Hi all,

When I choose get data and select oracle DB I'm getting the following error: 'Oracle:' with no other details. Has anyone encountered this before? Been using oracle DB connections for over a year now with no issue. It's not a DB issue as I've queried the DB from SQLdeveloper.

Thanks,

R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Robert7728 

Supported Oracle versions:

• Oracle Server 9 and later
  • Oracle Data Access Client (ODAC) software 11.2 or greater

If it's installed, verify that the tnsnames.ora file is properly configured and you're using the proper net_service_name. You also need to make sure that the net_service_name is the same between the machine that uses Power BI Desktop and the machine that runs the gateway. For more information, see Install the Oracle client.

You might also encounter a compatibility issue between the Oracle server version and the Oracle Data Access Client version. Typically, you want these versions to match, as some combinations are incompatible. For instance, ODAC 12.x does not support Oracle Server version 9.

Note

Choose a version of Oracle Data Access Client (ODAC) which is compatible with your Oracle Server. For instance, ODAC 12.x does not always support Oracle Server version 9. Choose the Windows installer of the Oracle Client. During the setup of the Oracle client, make sure you enable Configure ODP.NET and/or Oracle Providers for ASP.NET at machine-wide level by selecting the corresponding checkbox during the setup wizard. Some versions of the Oracle client wizard selects the checkbox by default, others do not. Make sure that checkbox is selected so that Power BI can connect to your Oracle database.

Refer:

Connect to an Oracle database with Power BI Desktop

Errors when connecting oracle DB with Power BI

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Robert7728 

Supported Oracle versions:

• Oracle Server 9 and later
  • Oracle Data Access Client (ODAC) software 11.2 or greater

If it's installed, verify that the tnsnames.ora file is properly configured and you're using the proper net_service_name. You also need to make sure that the net_service_name is the same between the machine that uses Power BI Desktop and the machine that runs the gateway. For more information, see Install the Oracle client.

You might also encounter a compatibility issue between the Oracle server version and the Oracle Data Access Client version. Typically, you want these versions to match, as some combinations are incompatible. For instance, ODAC 12.x does not support Oracle Server version 9.

Note

Choose a version of Oracle Data Access Client (ODAC) which is compatible with your Oracle Server. For instance, ODAC 12.x does not always support Oracle Server version 9. Choose the Windows installer of the Oracle Client. During the setup of the Oracle client, make sure you enable Configure ODP.NET and/or Oracle Providers for ASP.NET at machine-wide level by selecting the corresponding checkbox during the setup wizard. Some versions of the Oracle client wizard selects the checkbox by default, others do not. Make sure that checkbox is selected so that Power BI can connect to your Oracle database.

Refer:

Connect to an Oracle database with Power BI Desktop

Errors when connecting oracle DB with Power BI

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Thanks for your reply, however I already have oracle client installed. I have not seen anyone else encounter this error before, nor can I find any more info on what exactly is causing the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.