Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlB
Super User
Super User

Optimizing search for simultaneous logins - Slow measure

Hi all,

We have a Sessions table that registers logs into a system:

SessionID CardNumber StartDateTimeEq EndDateTimeEq
1 100 01/09/20 09:35 01/09/20 10:18
2 102 01/09/20 07:10 01/09/20 08:15
3 134 01/09/20 10:56 01/09/20 11:01

Mock data is attached

Card number uniquely identifies a user. Each login is uniquely identified by a SessionID (no SessionID dupes in the table). A user can log into the system thru multiple access points and can therefore have simultaneous logins. We are trying to measure the average number of simultaneous logins per user. This is an intensive operation (nested SUMX, FILTER) and the Session table has 1.5 million rows. Below is the measure that we currently have. It is way too slow unless calculated over small chunks of the table. Any ideas on how to make it faster? 

Many thanks

Simultaneous logins per operator =
VAR auxT_ =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        DISTINCT ( Sessions[CardNumber] ),
        "@SimultaneousLogs",
            VAR sessionsList_ =
                CALCULATETABLE (
                    SUMMARIZE (
                        Sessions,
                        Sessions[SessionID],
                        Sessions[StartDateTimeEq],
                        Sessions[EndDateTimeEq]
                    )
                )
            RETURN
                    + SUMX (
                        sessionsList_,
                        COUNTROWS (
                            FILTER (
                                sessionsList_,
                                [StartDateTimeEq] > EARLIER ( [StartDateTimeEq] )
                                    && [StartDateTimeEq] < EARLIER ( [EndDateTimeEq] )
                                    && [SessionID] <> EARLIER ( [SessionID] )
                            )
                        )
                    )
    )
RETURN
    AVERAGEX ( auxT_, [@SimultaneousLogs] )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes.

I tried calculated column with 520k+ rows, it takes 1min or so to load and calculate; I think it's worthwhile. On one hand, the attribute of a specific session is static; on the other hand, measures to slice and dice the data model on the fly takes a blink of an eye only.

CNENFRNL_0-1644005187579.png

CNENFRNL_1-1644005234861.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AlB
Super User
Super User

@CNENFRNL 

It's not exactly what I needed but you've given some pretty good and useful ideas

Thanks very much

AlB
Super User
Super User

Thanks @CNENFRNL 

So what would be the result of simultaneous logins in the table above? the sum of sessions that are non-primary?

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes.

I tried calculated column with 520k+ rows, it takes 1min or so to load and calculate; I think it's worthwhile. On one hand, the attribute of a specific session is static; on the other hand, measures to slice and dice the data model on the fly takes a blink of an eye only.

CNENFRNL_0-1644005187579.png

CNENFRNL_1-1644005234861.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

AlB
Super User
Super User

@CNENFRNL 

So what would be alogical approach to you?

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd spot "Primary Sessions" defined this way,

• [StartDateTimeEq] doesn't fall in between any other sessions (like session 1 and 8 below)
  • longest session timespan among all sessions with the same [StartDateTimeEq] (like 5 below, there're also such cases in your mock dataset)

CNENFRNL_0-1643983962606.png

a coarse calculated column measure does the trick,

Primay Session = 
VAR st = SESSIONS[StartDateTimeEq]
VAR e = SESSIONS[EndDateTimeEq]
VAR span = e - st
VAR sessionList = FILTER( SESSIONS, SESSIONS[CardNumber] = EARLIER( SESSIONS[CardNumber] ) )
RETURN
IF(
    ISEMPTY(
        FILTER(
            sessionList,
            SESSIONS[StartDateTimeEq] < st
                && st < SESSIONS[EndDateTimeEq]
        )
    )
        && ISEMPTY(
            FILTER(
                sessionList,
                SESSIONS[StartDateTimeEq] = st
                    && SESSIONS[EndDateTimeEq] - SESSIONS[StartDateTimeEq] > span
            )
        ),
    "P"
)

As you see, it's already complex enough even in calculated column; I've got no time for the moment to author an equal measure for viz now.

In fact, it's a self-join calculation with sessionList table for each CardNumber; I'm expecting much better performance on DB end. I'll give it shot later.

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, the mockup dataset is too small, hard to author an elegant measure based on it, but

ADDCOLUMNS (
        DISTINCT ( Sessions[CardNumber] ),
        "@SimultaneousLogs",
            VAR sessionsList_ =
                CALCULATETABLE (
                    SUMMARIZE (
                        Sessions,
                        Sessions[SessionID],
                        Sessions[StartDateTimeEq],
                        Sessions[EndDateTimeEq]
                    )
                )

this part seems weird to me when interpreted in plain English,

for each unique Sessions[CardNumber], Sessions table is grouped by [SessionID]+[StartDateTimeEq]+[EndDateTimeEq].

As you mentioned that no SessionID dupliate in the table, why bother to Summarize it? Even more, impossible that there are some records with the same combination of [SessionID]+[StartDateTimeEq]+[EndDateTimeEq].

Thanks @CNENFRNL

Good points.

1. I've added some mock data

2. The actual table has many more than those 4 more columns. That's why I'm using the SUMMARIZE, as a way to grab only the columns I need. I guess we could use something like SELECTCOLUMNS, but don't think that will have a significant performance impact

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Frankly speaking, I didn't catch the underlying logic of your measure because your measure evaluates like this, which seems unlogical to me,

CNENFRNL_1-1643902983571.png

I replicate the logic in calculated column for debugging,

CNENFRNL_0-1643902824916.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.