Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jcastr02
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Only refresh last 4 months of data

I have a table with coaching logs for leaders with their team members - this is stored in a Sharepoint Online table.  Is there a way that upon refreshing the data will only look back at the last 3 or 4 months of data (so based on "created date").  The table is growing and with transformations in data, the refresh process is taking longer.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jcastr02 if you want to keep the old data then you cannot filter in PQ because that will drop the data. if you really want only new data then you need incremental refresh which doesn't work with lists as far as I know but there are alternatives. Here is one such post that you can follow and try to implement. How you can incrementally refresh any Power BI data source (This example is a CSV File) - Reporting/...

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jcastr02 if you want to keep the old data then you cannot filter in PQ because that will drop the data. if you really want only new data then you need incremental refresh which doesn't work with lists as far as I know but there are alternatives. Here is one such post that you can follow and try to implement. How you can incrementally refresh any Power BI data source (This example is a CSV File) - Reporting/...

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jcastr02 before you do any transformation steps, after you read the list, filter in PQ for last 3 months or whatever period and that should do it.

@parry2k   I'd still like older data to show on visuals - just looking for when BI goes to source to only look for last 3 months.  If i filter in PQ, would that remove the data from visuals ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.