Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gianmarco
Helper IV
Helper IV

One model connected to different data sources (folders)

Dear All,

at the present time I have 10 different pbi files. The reason why I have 10 different pbi files is that each file is connected to 10 different data sources (folders). Every pbi files has the same data model.

The problem is: when I change something in the data model, I have to change it 10 times because I have to copy the change in every different file.

What I want to achieve is ONE pbi file that can manage the 10 different data sources at the same time. This would be awesome because if I have to make changes to the data model I just need to adjust it one time.

Is there a way I can do this? Maybe with parameters?

Thank you for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gianmarco ,

One report can be associated with multiple dashboards, but only data from one dataset can be used.See the relationships:

Eyelyn9_0-1634263007727.png

So if you want many different reports , you must create multiple pbix files in PBI Desktop and then publish them all to service.

In addition,you could simply migrate all queries to another pbix file by copy the DateMashup file since it contains all of your Query Editor information. Refer to:What makes up a Power BI Desktop PBIX File

Eyelyn9_1-1634263735218.png

Or try to use Power BI Template ,which could help you jump-start and standardize report creation.

Create and use report templates in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gianmarco ,

One report can be associated with multiple dashboards, but only data from one dataset can be used.See the relationships:

Eyelyn9_0-1634263007727.png

So if you want many different reports , you must create multiple pbix files in PBI Desktop and then publish them all to service.

In addition,you could simply migrate all queries to another pbix file by copy the DateMashup file since it contains all of your Query Editor information. Refer to:What makes up a Power BI Desktop PBIX File

Eyelyn9_1-1634263735218.png

Or try to use Power BI Template ,which could help you jump-start and standardize report creation.

Create and use report templates in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@gianmarco 

You can connect to those 10 different data sources (folders) from a single Power BI. If you need to maintain the data source paths for each of those sources, you can create parameters for that purpose.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Thanks @Fowmy 

Ok, I can create parameters to maintain the data source paths for each source. 
The problem then comes when I want to publish the report in the service: What i want is to have as many different reports in the service as the number of data sources...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.