Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One date slicer from several queries/fields

Hello,

I have a Power BI report with three visuals that I'd like to apply one date slicer to.

The three visuals are populated by three separate fields/queries and each of these have a date column which display dates but these dates are different in each as they cover different stages of the project.

Is it possible to create a date slicer from these three different date ranges and apply it to the three visuals? 

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndrewPF
Helper V
Helper V

In Power Query, create a new date "Fact Table" from the three original tables, which contains only date (deduped). 

Go back to Desktop, Model View, and set up relationships between the Fact Table and each of the three other tables. 

Create a date slicer using the new Fact Table. 

Providing the interactions are correct on your report tile, selecting a date from the new slicer should update everything else. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AndrewPF
Helper V
Helper V

I think they can have different names. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, yes I'm just starting now and seems to let me link them regardless of title. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @AndrewPF 

When I go to set up the relationships, do the date columns need to be the same name across all of the tables to be connected or can I link date columns regardless of their names? 

Thanks

AndrewPF
Helper V
Helper V

In Power Query, create a new date "Fact Table" from the three original tables, which contains only date (deduped). 

Go back to Desktop, Model View, and set up relationships between the Fact Table and each of the three other tables. 

Create a date slicer using the new Fact Table. 

Providing the interactions are correct on your report tile, selecting a date from the new slicer should update everything else. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.