Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cjones875
Regular Visitor

ORDERBY Function not Working in newest update

I am creating a new report and trying to use the OFFSET function which I have done many times in the past. After I recently updated to the new May 2023 update, the ORDERBY function within the OFFSET function is not working. It would not let me use a column to order by unless I aggragated it. I loaded up the same report in an old version and the ORBERBY worked just fine. Anyone else having similar troubles.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi there @cjones875 

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you've experienced, but I can see a glitch when first authoring a measure in Power BI Desktop. Intellisense at first does not suggest column references within ORDERBY, and then underlines themas a syntax errors.

However, the measure seems to produce the expected result, and the Intellisense seems to work correctly when I go back and edit the measure.

Is this what you're experiencing or is ORDERBY not working at all when provided column references?

Could you attach a sample PBIX (link to OneDrive or Google Drive etc) that exhibits the problem?

Regards

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi there @cjones875 

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you've experienced, but I can see a glitch when first authoring a measure in Power BI Desktop. Intellisense at first does not suggest column references within ORDERBY, and then underlines themas a syntax errors.

However, the measure seems to produce the expected result, and the Intellisense seems to work correctly when I go back and edit the measure.

Is this what you're experiencing or is ORDERBY not working at all when provided column references?

Could you attach a sample PBIX (link to OneDrive or Google Drive etc) that exhibits the problem?

Regards

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

I guess you're the magic man! I was even typing in the column name into the ORDERBY function when I submitted this post but was getting an error saying it couldn't even find the column. I tried again today and it seems to work!

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.