Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

cjones875
Regular Visitor

ORDERBY Function not Working in newest update

I am creating a new report and trying to use the OFFSET function which I have done many times in the past. After I recently updated to the new May 2023 update, the ORDERBY function within the OFFSET function is not working. It would not let me use a column to order by unless I aggragated it. I loaded up the same report in an old version and the ORBERBY worked just fine. Anyone else having similar troubles.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi there @cjones875 

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you've experienced, but I can see a glitch when first authoring a measure in Power BI Desktop. Intellisense at first does not suggest column references within ORDERBY, and then underlines themas a syntax errors.

However, the measure seems to produce the expected result, and the Intellisense seems to work correctly when I go back and edit the measure.

Is this what you're experiencing or is ORDERBY not working at all when provided column references?

Could you attach a sample PBIX (link to OneDrive or Google Drive etc) that exhibits the problem?

Regards

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi there @cjones875 

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you've experienced, but I can see a glitch when first authoring a measure in Power BI Desktop. Intellisense at first does not suggest column references within ORDERBY, and then underlines themas a syntax errors.

However, the measure seems to produce the expected result, and the Intellisense seems to work correctly when I go back and edit the measure.

Is this what you're experiencing or is ORDERBY not working at all when provided column references?

Could you attach a sample PBIX (link to OneDrive or Google Drive etc) that exhibits the problem?

Regards

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

I guess you're the magic man! I was even typing in the column name into the ORDERBY function when I submitted this post but was getting an error saying it couldn't even find the column. I tried again today and it seems to work!

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.