Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Olthierie
Frequent Visitor

ODBC: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (100) Error interacting with REST API: Response too large

Hi, 

I was not able to find an adequate solution for this problem so I hope you can help me out. 

The problem is only occuring on the desktop version of PowerBI (Version: 2.87.1061.0 64-bit (November 2020))

With the previous version of the desktop version (we had the September version) this problem did not occur. 

The data we try to load may have increased as well (times 2), but is heavily filtered. Also, the report runs smoothly on the client's PowerBI server.

This is the situation:

We are having Big Query connected to PowerBI (method = import) and we are making already use of the allowLargeResults=true parameter.

Source = GoogleBigQuery.Database([allowLargeResults=true]),

The Data we have can be seen as event data, meaning we have a timestamp, event_id and value as columns. 

From this selection, we immedeatly filter/select  two event_ids over their full time track and we remove all other columns. So far, this part goes succesful.

Subsequently we apply a pivot, so we would have the 2 event_ids as column names  and their values as records. This is where I get the error:

ODBC: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (100) Error interacting with REST API: Response too large

How can we overcome this, It is remarkable that this did not happen in the past, also, the report is working smooth on the PowerBI server side...

I am looking forward to your response, If you need further information let me know

Olivier

2 REPLIES 2
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Olthierie ,

Would you please try to use previous version of Power BI desktop and try again? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive

And as mentioned in https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33842657/response-too-large-to-return-on-simple-select-in-bigque...  Specify true for allowLargeResults. Also give destinationTable for query.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.