Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JohnCavil
Helper I
Helper I

Not able to overwrite report on app.powerbi.com

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with overwriting a report on app.powerbi.com.

I have a report named xxx, and i download it, make some changes to the pbix file, then try to publish again with the exact same name. However it just makes another report called xxxx. If i try to publish it AGAIN then it will overwrite the second one, but not the original one. And it's the original one that i have shared with people and that everyone uses, so that's obviously the one i need to make changes to.

I simply cannot replace that original report when i publish and I don't understand why. I can publish and replace other reports, even with the exact same name in the same workspace and so on. Is there some other way i should be doing it or permission i should have or something? I thought it was all just in the name, that's how it's always worked for me at least.

Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User
2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak thanks for the link, it solved it problem 🙂

For anyone wondering, the issue was that the data set was named yyyy and the report was named xxxx. I simply downloaded the report, made changes, and published under the xxxx name. However you have to overwrite the dataset with the dataset name, so i downloaded the dataset, pulished with the yyyy name, and it worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.