Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

CLANG10
Helper I
Helper I

Not able to create a column.

Hi,

Current i am getting a live connection datasource through Azure Analysis service and building a report in PBI desktop. But i don't have the option of adding a new column to build my report. Is this due to the datasource setting? Need advise on how to resolve this. Thanks!! 

CLANG10_0-1679032459364.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

correct. You can only add columns in Import Mode or in Mixed Mode (Direct Query with local data model). Not for Live connection.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

correct. You can only add columns in Import Mode or in Mixed Mode (Direct Query with local data model). Not for Live connection.

Thanks, i had configured the live connection to a direct query with local data model. It allows me to create calculated columns. No issue when creating 1 calculated column, but i have problems after creating 2 or more calculated columns, it gives the error: "The column cannot be pushed to the remote data source and cannot be used in this scenario".  I tried to troubleshoot by deleting 1st calculated column and leaving 2nd calculated column and vice versa. It fails to work when i have more than 1 calculated column. Any advise on what could be the possible issue?

Interesting error message. Usually the limitation only says that the column must be derived from in-row data.

You can raise an issue at https://issues.powerbi.com . If you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

Thanks for the advise. I managed to work around the problem by creating a new table then these new calculated columns and linking relationship from this new table to the exisitng ones i got from the direct query from my data source. Still don't know the rootcause though. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.