Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

fz1
Frequent Visitor

Normal distribution curve

The following is representative of the dataset I am working with: 

fz1_7-1715371945600.png

I also have a date table (Calendar) that contains a range of dates over several years. Data model view:

fz1_9-1715372284915.png

Here's a snapshot of my dashboard, where Part ["Part" column] and Delivery Date ["Date (Days)" column] are slicers, and MaxLeadTime and OrderByDate (my "output") are derived from measures:

fz1_10-1715372640807.png

The MaxLeadTime measure returns the highest value in the Lead Time column, by Part:  

MaxLeadTime =
AVERAGEX(
    Values('Car details'[Part]),
    CALCULATE(
        MAX('Car details'[Lead Time]),
        not ISBLANK('Car details'[Lead Time]),
        ALLEXCEPT('Car details', 'Car details'[Part])))

The OrderByDate measure calculates the latest date by which the order must be placed, as determined by the longest lead time value (unit is in months) for that Part:

OrderByDate = SELECTEDVALUE('Calendar'[Date (Days)]) - ([MaxLeadTime]*30)

As seen in the dashboard snapshot above, for Part "E" the max lead time is 10 months so if the user desires a Delivery Date of 1/6/2023, the order must be placed by 3/12/2022 as displayed in the Card. I am hoping to create a normal distribution curve for this date where users will be able to toggle between different confidence intervals to display the probabilistic dates associated with those intervals. I guess something similar to what's shown in this video, except instead of having one overarching value for mean, standard deviation, etc. mine will have several for each Part ID: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bPVMFrUnrU&t=722s

Appreciate any guidance on this!

2 REPLIES 2
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fz1 ,
Based on your description, you want to create a normal distribution curve based on the metric and display confidence intervals based on the date you selected. Please mention the data from the Calendar table so that we can help you better.
How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Fabric Community
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best regards,
Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

@v-heq-msft here's a snapshot of the Calendar table:

fz1_0-1715604144288.png

(It goes on till 2030)

Also just to clarify, I am looking for a normal distribution curve based on the date shown in the "OrderByDate" Card (which is essentially a measure). The Delivery Date slicer is pulling from the "Date (Days)" column from the Calendar table. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.