Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rginny_
Helper I
Helper I

Network graph

Hi,

I am looking for recommendations and / or samples of people using network / graph visualisation to show connections between values.

I have some platform usage data with the following columns: Date, User, Application

I would like to map out the connections between the different apps. So if two apps have at least one user who used both of them then I'd like to connect those two apps.

Is this possible? If yes, what visual should I use and how?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@rginny_ there are few custom visuals available on market place to achieve this. Read their privacy policy before using but definitely there are solutions.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hey @parry2k ,

Thanks for your reply! I have tried most of the custom visuals I know of but none of them seem to fit my purpose. I'm just trying to find an example of this being done.

@rginny_ I know I used some stuff in the past for transportation use to link between start and end location and your question seems to be similar. It all going to boil down to data model and then work with the network visual. If you can share sample data with some rough sketch what you are trying to achieve, I'm sure, will find a solution for you.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k My data looks something like this:

UserApplication
A1
A2
A4
B2
B3
C1
C2
C4
C5

And the result would be something like this (very rough sketch):

Picture1.png

The big black circles represent the applications. Two applications are connected if there is at least one user who is using both. E.g. application 1 and 2 are connected because both user A and C are using both of those apps. On the other hand, application 3 and 5 aren't connected as there is no user who is using both of those applications. 
The numbers on the lines represent the number of users using both apps. Ideally in the actual visual I'd apply this value to the weight of the lines.
The goal is to be able to show that, for example, the users who use application 1 are also using application 2, 4 and 5 to varying degrees. 

I hope this makes sense! thanks so much for helping.

Hi @rginny_

Based on my test, there's no visual totally satisfied your need. You can come up with a new idea and add your comments to the URL below to make this feature coming sooner.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,
Kelly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.