Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shilpisingal
Frequent Visitor

Need help with grouping and sorting

Our goal is to compute how many times a device has been turned on within a case. 

The data looks like this in an events table.  

The device sends a message once per second (there could be a lage but timestamp would still be unique).  As long as the device is ON, the deviceON bit will stay true. When it's turned off, the bit will flip to false.  A device can be turned off multiple times with a case (Case Id is unique for case) .Our goal is to compute how many times a device has been turned on within a case as shown in the output. 

Can someone please provide guidance on how to do this in PowerBI? 

CaseId deviceON   Timestamp
1           True              08/07/2018 11:22:14
1           True              08/07/2018 11:22:15
1           False             08/07/2018 11:22:16
1           False             08/07/2018 11:22:17
1           True              08/07/2018 11:22:18
1           True              08/07/2018 11:22:19
2           True              08/07/2018 12:20:10
2           True              08/07/2018 12:20:11
2           False              08/07/2018 12:20:12
2           False              08/07/2018 12:20:13
2          False              08/07/2018 12:20:14
2         False              08/07/2018 12:29:15

Desired output 

CaseId Number_Of_Times_Device_Was_ON
1            2
2            1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

@shilpisingal,

Take a look at this file. I had to do a bit in Power Query and a bit in DAX so it wouldn't double-count the TRUE() records if the previous record was true.

I used Power Query to add an index column to the file, then used DAX to move up and down the index column.

Note: this is not bullet proof! It assumes the CaseID and TimeStamps are sorted ascending before the index is added.

The DAX function that does this: 

Turned On = 
IF(
    Data[CaseID] <> LOOKUPVALUE(Data[CaseID],Data[Index],Data[Index]-1) && Data[DeviceOn] = TRUE(),
     IF(
        Data[DeviceOn] = TRUE() && LOOKUPVALUE(Data[DeviceOn],Data[Index],Data[Index] - 1) = FALSE(),
    )

)

It is a calculated column in the table that sets [Turned on] to 1 if it is the same device, was off before, and was not the first row. If it is the first row for the device and it is on, it flips the bit to 1 too.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

In your example, case 1 was true for 4 times and 2 was True for 2 times. But, in your output , the count to be 2 &1. Could you please explain this?

@Anonymous

I took it to mean that when the same device had TRUE 2+ records in a row, that wasn't being turned on, it was just still on, and didn't need to be counted as a Turn On event.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

@edhans

Never mind. I figured out my mistake. I created a new Column and copied the DAX formula in there. Now I'm all set. Thank you so much for your help. Couldn't have done it without your guidance.

Never mind. I figured out my mistake. I created a new Column and copied the DAX formula in there. Now I'm all set. Thank you so much for your help. Couldn't have done it without your guidance.

Yup. Not a huge fan of calculated columns, but for a quick solutoin it seemed better than a more complex Power Query operation.

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for marking it as a solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

oh got it @edhans. Thanks. In that case, my approach wont work, which was counting all occurances .

@shilpisingal - Please try @edhans approach.

Thanks
Raj

edhans
Super User
Super User

@shilpisingal,

Take a look at this file. I had to do a bit in Power Query and a bit in DAX so it wouldn't double-count the TRUE() records if the previous record was true.

I used Power Query to add an index column to the file, then used DAX to move up and down the index column.

Note: this is not bullet proof! It assumes the CaseID and TimeStamps are sorted ascending before the index is added.

The DAX function that does this: 

Turned On = 
IF(
    Data[CaseID] <> LOOKUPVALUE(Data[CaseID],Data[Index],Data[Index]-1) && Data[DeviceOn] = TRUE(),
     IF(
        Data[DeviceOn] = TRUE() && LOOKUPVALUE(Data[DeviceOn],Data[Index],Data[Index] - 1) = FALSE(),
    )

)

It is a calculated column in the table that sets [Turned on] to 1 if it is the same device, was off before, and was not the first row. If it is the first row for the device and it is on, it flips the bit to 1 too.

@edhans@

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my solution. I started following your steps and getting stuck at how you created the DAX function for "Turned On".  I tried creating a measure on the table and also a new custom column but in both situations I'm running into this error

"single value for column 'DeviceOn' in table 'pumpStatusChanged' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum

I noticed you've a summation sign on the "Turned On" attribute. I can't figure out how you get that. Can you please tell how you created the column "Turned On". Thanks a lot 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @shilpisingal 

Try this measure.

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[DeviceOn]),
                    FILTER( Table1,CaseID= MAX(Table1[CaseID]) && Table1[DeviceOn] = "True")
                  )

I havent tested this, it should work.but if you see any issues, let me know.

Thanks

Raj

Hi Raj, 

Thanks for trying.  I tried your suggestion  but didn't get the correct response.

Also don't understand how this will work without including the Timestamp in the measure? 

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT('DeviceEvents'[deviceON]),
FILTER( 'DeviceEvents','DeviceEvents'[CaseId]= MAX('DeviceEvents'[CaseId]) && 'DeviceEvents'[deviceON] = "True")
)

The output is coming as 

CaseId  Measure

12         2 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.