Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with DRLS cross-filter security

Hi community,

I have implemented quite a complex DRLS case, where I use the Userprinciplename() to filter the data based on a permissions table called Dashboard_Permissions. For your understanding, here is the situation:

I created a role whereby I filter the Users table (holds all users) using the Userprinciplename() of the current user using Power BI, which filters through to the other tables like this:

Users    1 -  *  Requests

Requests  1 - *   Dashboard_Permissions

Dashboard_Permissions  * - 1 Accounting_Divisions_Locations

Accounting_Divisions_Locations  1 - *   Flexera_Evidence_Assets 

As you can see, I want to use the unique locations from Accounting_Divisions_Locations  to eventually filter my data (Flexera_Evidence_Assets table) using filter propagation on the Location field. The Accounting_Divisions_Locations table is a dimensional table that contains unique Locations.

I can of course use a bi-directional active filter with security filter (between Dashboard_Permissions and Accounting_Divisions_Locations), however I have come to know this is not the most performance-friendly solution, so I need to use DAX.

A person usually has a specific Corporate_Unit and Location combination.

What complicates matters is that I have a situation whereby a manager can have access to a certain Corporate Unit and should also have access to all locations under this Corporate Unit. 

The structure of Dashboard_Permissions is as follows:

Permission_IDRequest_IDCorporate_Unit_IDLocation_IDApproved_dateActive
111011NULL2021-03-30 16:06:33.40000001
22100210022021-03-30 16:10:06.18333331

In the case that Location_ID is NULL, this means that this person(request_id in this case) should have access to all locations under this corporate unit (in this case that is BeCSE/GR), otherwise it should just take the location_id and lookup the value in the Accounting_Divisions_Locations table. I would also have to keep in mind the Active flag (1/0) which indicates if the permission is active or not.

An illustration what I want in SQL (using joins and coalesce):

Permission_IDRequest_IDCorporate_Unit_IDLocation_IDApproved_dateActiveLocation
111011NULL2021-03-30 16:06:33.40000001BeCSE/GR/Corporate
111011NULL2021-03-30 16:06:33.40000001BeCSE/GR/Datacenter
111011NULL2021-03-30 16:06:33.40000001BeCSE/GR/Store
22100210022021-03-30 16:10:06.18333331BeCSE/BE/Datacenter

How can I implement this in DAX when I have two relationships between the Dashboard_Permissions and Accounting_Divisions_Locations table? How do I make sure that the filter propagates through? I want to specify this in the manage roles section.

Thank you for your help,

Jovan

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"I can of course use a bi-directional active filter with security filter (between Dashboard_Permissions and Accounting_Divisions_Locations), however I have come to know this is not the most performance-friendly solution, so I need to use DAX."

Make sure you test that assumption on your actual data.  It might not be an issue for your scenario, and it would save you a lot of headache if you can let the data model do the work.

Please explain the business scenario for   Dashboard_Permissions  * - 1 Accounting_Divisions_Locations  again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.