Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Bpark1994
Helper I
Helper I

Need Help With DAX Function (Displaying Buckets in Pivot Table)

Hi Everyone,

I came across an issue that has left me stumped and I was hoping someone here would be able to point me in the right direction.

Say i have a table like this:

Worksheet Table:

Worksheet ID

Crew Day ID

Crew Name

Date

Revenue

Type of work

Revenue Buckets

Jon Doe

1/1/2018 12:00:00 AM

Easy

<=$50

Bill Smith

Medium

<=$50

Jon Doe

Hard

<=$100

Jon Doe

Easy

<=$100

Bill Smith

Medium

<=$100

Patrick Star

Hard

<=$50

Jimmy Parker

1/2/2018 12:00:00 AM

Easy

<=$100

Brian Jalette

Medium

<=$150

Jon Doe

Hard

<=$50

Patrick Star

Easy

<=$100

As you can see a crew can submit multiple worksheets per day so to find the unique number of crew days I created the following DAX function:

Crew Days DAX:=CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT([Crew Day ID]))

Now what I want to do is display it in a pivot table and have it look like the following:

Buckets

Crew Days DAX

<= $50

<= $100

<=$150

>$150

However when I create the revenue buckets as a calculated column on the Worksheets Table and put it as the rows of my pivot table and put my Crew Days DAX function as the values i get the following:

Buckets

Crew Days DAX

<= $50

<= $100

<=$150

Grand Total

I now understand that the reason its giving me this result is its running my DAX function on the filtered set of data from the bucket calculated column but how do I get the result I want? Also if I wanted to determine average daily revenue by Type of Work how would I go about that?

Thanks for all the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You could do this using a second calculated column that sums the Revenue without filtering anything other than the Crew Day ID.  This will work out the total Revenue Bucket for each Crew Day ID. 

Use a calculated column formula like this:

Revenue Buckets Aggregated =
IF( CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Crew Day ID])) <= 50, "<=$50",
    IF( CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Crew Day ID]))  <= 100, "<=$100",
        IF( CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Crew Day ID]))  <= 150, "<=$150",
            IF( CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Crew Day ID]))  > 150, ">$150"))))

Then your Crew Days DAX measure will work using this column.

Then to work out the averages, just create a simple measure like and put it in a table with the Type of work:

Average Daily Revenue = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table1[Revenue]))

You should hopefully get something like my results in the screenshot....

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

What logic you are using drive following result:

Now what I want to do is to be able to create some revenue buckets based on the daily revenue and display it in a pivot table. It should look like the following:

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I cleaned that sentence up. Does it seem clearer now? Basically I'm trying to get that result from the table I have. Is that possible? Is there any workarounds?

Hello dear,

It can be done without any DAX . Please follow below steps to dynamically create rev buckets
1. Go to edit queries
2. Select rev bucket column and right click on it and select last option Add as a new query.
3. A new list will be generated. Select column in new list , right click and select remove duplicates.
4. Again right click and select "To Table"

5. Make a relationship between voth the tables . It will be a one to many relationship.

6. Use rev buckets from new table and crew id from main table.
7. Select count(distinct) in values for crew id.

Hope this solves your problem.

Answer to your second question.
Select type of work and revenue in table visual.
Select average instead of sum in values.

Hi everyone,

I posted this the other day but the responses seem to have died out so I thought i would repost it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Need-Help-With-DAX-Function-Displaying-Buckets-in-Pivot-Tab...

Hi @Bpark1994,

I'm a little confused about your desired output, could you describe your logic in more details?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The desired output is the second table listed that looks like this:

Buckets

Crew Days DAX

<= $50

<= $100

<=$150

>$150

The logic to arrive at this result is as follows:

If you add all the revenue for crew day ID 1 you get 200. 200 would fall into the >$150 bucket so that would be the 1 in that category in the table above. 

Just not sure how to arrive here through a dax function

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You could do this using a second calculated column that sums the Revenue without filtering anything other than the Crew Day ID.  This will work out the total Revenue Bucket for each Crew Day ID. 

Use a calculated column formula like this:

Revenue Buckets Aggregated =
IF( CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Crew Day ID])) <= 50, "<=$50",
    IF( CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Crew Day ID]))  <= 100, "<=$100",
        IF( CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Crew Day ID]))  <= 150, "<=$150",
            IF( CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Crew Day ID]))  > 150, ">$150"))))

Then your Crew Days DAX measure will work using this column.

Then to work out the averages, just create a simple measure like and put it in a table with the Type of work:

Average Daily Revenue = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table1[Revenue]))

You should hopefully get something like my results in the screenshot....

Capture.JPG

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but this resulted in the same wrong pivot table. Any other ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.