Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Modeling Large Dataset in Desktop

Hi,

I am just getting started with Power BI (self-taught) and I can't figure out how to model a dataset that I KNOW is going to be way too big for me to save to my laptop and then publish. I have a PPU license so I'm not too worried about how big it will be with all the data in it. I was hoping to build it by putting some filters into the model and then removing them after publishing but it seems I can't modify a published dataset without bringing it back onto my desktop (literally back to where I started). You would think a quick google search would get me 10 different ways to do it but I'm not finding anything. What's the trick?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous this can give you a good idea. Limit The Amount Of Data You Work With In Power BI Desktop Using Parameters And Deployment Pipelines - Chris Webb's BI Blog (crossjoin.co.uk)

👉 Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤️

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous this can give you a good idea. Limit The Amount Of Data You Work With In Power BI Desktop Using Parameters And Deployment Pipelines - Chris Webb's BI Blog (crossjoin.co.uk)

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤️

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous That is kind of how it will work. I will try to find a link to share. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you can add a parameter to restrict the rows when you are doing development on the Power BI desktop and once ready, publish it, and in the service, change the parameter value to load all the data. This is the common way to deal with it. Solved: How to limit the dataset during the development - Microsoft Fabric Community

Anonymous
Not applicable

Parry, Thanks. Is there a link to how parameters work? I see within the "Tranform Data" there's a way to create parameters but nothing is obvious how to apply that parameter to a dataset. Once again, my google skills seem to be failing me. If I just place a filter on a column "date is within 30 days" is that basically the same thing? Then once i publish I change it to "date within 5 years"?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.