cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c4rlosmarin Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container is killing my box (PowerBI Desktop = CPU + Memory Hog)

Just so you know, the following is still happening:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/PowerBI-Desktop-CPU-Memory-Hog/m-p/13942/highlight/true

And the following workaround did not fixed the issue:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/63159ce7-1252-49ea-891f-d01d7fd4e1be/microsoft-mas...

I'm currently using the latest Power Bi Desktop version. My issue is mainly related to querying a 800MB+ XML file, just opening the file, no transformation or any other additional task.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container is killing my box (PowerBI Desktop = CPU + Memory Hog)

Hi @c4rlosmarin,

Multiple calculations(complex measures and calculated columns) in large dataset will eat up much CPU and memory . In your scenario, there are some proposals for you troubleshooting such performance issue.

1. Use the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.42.4611.901).

2. Untick the following options in your current PBIX file. You can go to File -> Options and settings -> Options->CURRENT FILE(Data Load) to find the options.
1.PNG

3. Follow the guide in this blog to disable Load for these intermediate queries in your PBIX file to save memory.

4. Optimize your data model by following  the tips in the articles below.
  Data Import Best Practices in Power BI
  Power BI Performance Tips and Techniques

5. Use a faster computer with bigger memory would help in your scenario.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container is killing my box (PowerBI Desktop = CPU + Memory Hog)

Hi @c4rlosmarin,

Multiple calculations(complex measures and calculated columns) in large dataset will eat up much CPU and memory . In your scenario, there are some proposals for you troubleshooting such performance issue.

1. Use the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.42.4611.901).

2. Untick the following options in your current PBIX file. You can go to File -> Options and settings -> Options->CURRENT FILE(Data Load) to find the options.
1.PNG

3. Follow the guide in this blog to disable Load for these intermediate queries in your PBIX file to save memory.

4. Optimize your data model by following  the tips in the articles below.
  Data Import Best Practices in Power BI
  Power BI Performance Tips and Techniques

5. Use a faster computer with bigger memory would help in your scenario.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
ross27 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Proposal 2 seems to have fixed the issue for me.  Hard to change these options while your pc is grinding to a halt though!

c4rlosmarin Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@v-yuezhe-msft: thanks! for some reason I was not getting the notification regarding the availability of a newer version of PowerBi Desktop, I had to manually download it. After that, disabling Background Data and Parallel Loading of Tables fixed the issue.

gary_townsend Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

A larger machine isn't necessarily the solution, its apparent there is a Memory leak in the service and it is exacerbated on systems with the enterprise gateway. We a have a machine with 24GB of memory and the run away memory leak flattened it. The work around was restarting the gateway but that is hardly a good solution. 

gary_townsend Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

A larger machine isn't necessarily the solution, its apparent there is a Memory leak in the service and it is exacerbated on systems with the enterprise gateway. We a have a machine with 24GB of memory and the run away memory leak flattened it. The work around was restarting the gateway but that is hardly a good solution. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 326 members 2,818 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: