Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

274188A
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX45.exe process is using clear text password of user

Our Cyber Security team alerted me that the PBI Desktop uses a process called :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX45.exe

The process has been detected using the password of the currently logged in user in CLEAR TEXT.
Just raising it with the team for their attention.

274188A_0-1710141880716.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As you can see in the above image, The datasource credentails are encrypted and will be decrypted while connecting to the on prem datasource. If your internal cyber security team identifies any risk in it then I would suggest you to riase with the Microsoft support team.

If the post helps please give a thumbs up

If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tharun

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
274188A
Frequent Visitor

So youre saying it all good 'because we know what it is' - where I am saying 'this is so bad to be passing around pwds in plain text'. 

Dos that make sense?

As you can see in the above image, The datasource credentails are encrypted and will be decrypted while connecting to the on prem datasource. If your internal cyber security team identifies any risk in it then I would suggest you to riase with the Microsoft support team.

If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tharun

tharunkumarRTK
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@274188A 

I believe you have installed On premises data gateway in your machine and configured semantic model (power BI dataset) refreshes which are connected to on prem data sources. When ever the refresh runs it runs few mashup containers in the machine where the gateway is installed. 

If you want to check the user name with which this particular service is running then you can open services in your windows machine and check the user name against 'On Premises data gateway'

P.S. Refreshes running in the Power BI desktop can also invoke mashup container processes.

Tharun

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.