Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merging two Tables based on different values

Hello everyone,

I hope someone has an idea how I can solve this problem. Basically I have two tables which are related with each other over the ID.

Lets say I have folloing two tables:

Luca1234_0-1634731985702.png

Luca1234_1-1634731592433.png

For this example I have 3 Versions and I want one result for every version for every testcase. In reality I dont know the amount of Versions. I want the resulting table to look like this:

Luca1234_2-1634731695118.png

So the question is: Is there a way to do this, without knowing the amount of versions?

I want to achieve this, so in a stacked column chart I will have a constant height for every version.

P.S: I cant show real data because its company related.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

According to your description, I think you need to create a distinct table first to display all version, then create a measure to display the corresponding status.

Like this:

Table = DISTINCT(Table2[Version])
Measure =
VAR a =
    MAXX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( Table2 ),
            [ID] = SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[ID] )
                && [Version] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Version] )
        ),
        [Status]
    )
RETURN
    IF ( a = BLANK (), "null", a )

vjaneygmsft_0-1635153103782.png

vjaneygmsft_1-1635153113573.png

Note: Putting only two columns will report an error. After the measure is put in, the visual can be displayed normally.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

According to your description, I think you need to create a distinct table first to display all version, then create a measure to display the corresponding status.

Like this:

Table = DISTINCT(Table2[Version])
Measure =
VAR a =
    MAXX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( Table2 ),
            [ID] = SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[ID] )
                && [Version] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Version] )
        ),
        [Status]
    )
RETURN
    IF ( a = BLANK (), "null", a )

vjaneygmsft_0-1635153103782.png

vjaneygmsft_1-1635153113573.png

Note: Putting only two columns will report an error. After the measure is put in, the visual can be displayed normally.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your well explained idea. I will have to try this later today and than I will get back to this solution.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , What is logic to get version .

In power query, you can append, but the version will null, you can use fill down

In dax you can add new column in table 1 first

version = max(Table2[version])+1

Status = blank()

Then create a new tbale

union(Table1, Table2)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandakThe logic of version is this. Every test gets tested again on every version or at least it should be. But a lot of times for several reasons they will not be tested on one version and tested again on the next version. Thats why in Result there will be only results for versions and testcases, that have been executed. But I want to create a table where even for those times a testcase didnt get tested on a version, there is still some result like null NA or blank. Instead the match doesnt exist, because Power Query doesnt really know for what version the testcase should have been tested. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.