Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Median of count of rows

Hi,

I am trying since a few days to create create a Median in DAX in Power Bi dekstop. I know a function exist but I can't achieve to make it work for me.

I have 1 table with information about doctor appointement and I need to compare the number of appointment of each doctor for a period with the median of his clinic.

So I have 3 slicer: Year, Quarter and Clinic and I created a line and "clustered column chart" with my doctors and the number of appointments: it is a is count of rows in my table (or I have also a column with 1 for each row and I make a sum of it).

Then I try to create a calculated measure for the Median like this:

Mediane = MedianX(Sheet1; CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Value1])))

or

Mediane = MedianX(Sheet1; CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Sheet1);ALL(Sheet1[Doctor]);ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1;Sheet1[Clinic Name];Sheet1[Year];Sheet1[Quarter]))

Nothing works.

Does anyone have an idea how I could make it work ?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Second try...

Median of Count = calculate(MEDIANX('eurofxref-hist';[CountOfRows]) ; all('eurofxref-hist'))

Cheers, Edgar Walther
ITsmart BI and Analytics consultant

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you, it seems to work but I was excpected more a 255.5 than a 256.

I think I also found a solution but more complex:

Median of Count = CALCULATE(MEDIANX(SUMMARIZE('eurofxref-hist','eurofxref-hist'[Year],"Cnt",CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('eurofxref-hist'))), [Cnt]),ALL('eurofxref-hist'))

It gives the 255.5 but I don't understand why with the same median function whe have 2 different results.

Regards,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

Your requirement is not clear for me. Could you upload some sample data and be more specific on the expected output? It would be better you can upload a sample pbix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Eric

Here a data sample not the same I talked about in my previous message: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=17A7AFFEED8D650E!634&authkey=!AFMa8ygyM-znTPs&ithint=file%2cpb...

I want to create the measure that is the median for the number a rows for each year.

If you look at the first columns of table there is counts of rows. The median value is 255.5 if my calculation are correct. I want to be able to create a chart with the count of rows in bars and a line which represent the median, like the first chart.

I made it for a column in the first chart but I can't for a calculated measure or a count of rows.

If anyone can help me.

Thanks,

Hi Ilocans,

I downloaded your sample and created this measure:

Median of Count = MEDIANX('eurofxref-hist';[CountOfRows])

Is that what you mean?

Cheers, Edgar Walther
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I tested your solution but it gives the number of rows for each year:

1999 259

2000 255

If the median works it should return for each row 255.50

Regards,

Second try...

Median of Count = calculate(MEDIANX('eurofxref-hist';[CountOfRows]) ; all('eurofxref-hist'))

Cheers, Edgar Walther
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you, it seems to work but I was excpected more a 255.5 than a 256.

I think I also found a solution but more complex:

Median of Count = CALCULATE(MEDIANX(SUMMARIZE('eurofxref-hist','eurofxref-hist'[Year],"Cnt",CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('eurofxref-hist'))), [Cnt]),ALL('eurofxref-hist'))

It gives the 255.5 but I don't understand why with the same median function whe have 2 different results.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.