Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AmBigsPBI
Frequent Visitor

Measures Table Blocking Queries. Cannot convert value "" to type Table.

Hello, 

I made a measures table by making a table in the PBI desktop and then adding measures to it. This has worked fine in the past. A few nights ago this happened, and again this morning. It took forever to fix and I don't even know what I did. This is what it shows me in power query. I don't know why it would have a remove columns step for a table with just meaures, there are no columns. But I can't remove that step or the measure table goes away I think.

AmBigsPBI_0-1711726211535.png

When I run my query this is what I get:

AmBigsPBI_1-1711726346428.png

I have tried refreshing all queries in power query window, didn't help. Any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AmBigsPBI,

Interesting. I don't know if this is the "right" way either but how I usually create my measure table is from the below, then deleting the single, empty column I created.

Wilson__0-1711748061782.png

Maybe you find that less convoluted this way, maybe not. 😄

----------------------------------
If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it quickly. Also, don't forget to hit that thumbs up and subscribe! (Oh, uh, wrong platform?)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AmBigsPBI
Frequent Visitor

I figured out how I fixed it last time, which was to add a new column just to make the query have something new to load in rather than just refresh and then the error didn't occur. Not sure why that would help, and that isn't something I want to do every time this error happens. Any more info or advice on how to avoid this would be helpful.

Wilson_
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

AmBigsPBI,

Can you share the same screenshot, but after you click Source on the right?

The source is blank. I used New Table under modeling in PBI desktop and then just added measures to in on the desktop. So in power query there wouldn't be any columns.

AmBigsPBI,

You're telling me the first step in your power query is exactly the below?

Source = 

I asked for a screenshot so we can avoid any ambiguity. If my above understanding is incorrect, please provide a screenshot instead of a written description. 🙂

If I am understanding correctly, even if you added new table under modeling in PBI desktop, the source should not be blank. The reason you are getting that error then is exactly because you're telling Power BI your source is "", which it is correctly telling you it cannot convert to a table. Did you edit the Advanced Editor and clear out what it had after "Source ="?

For example, if I create a new table like you said, like below...

Wilson__0-1711728501015.png

... I still get this in the query editor:

Wilson__1-1711728596887.png

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it quickly. Also, don't forget to hit that thumbs up and subscribe! (Oh, uh, wrong platform?)

AmBigsPBI_0-1711744964824.png

As I said, completely blank. I did not create the table in the power query as you are. I used the New Table button on the modeling tab in desktop as seen below. I left the formula blank and started adding measures to the table. I'm now guessing that this isn't the proper way to create a measures table and the column error is possibly due to it expecting a physical column.

AmBigsPBI_1-1711745053941.png

AmBigsPBI,

Interesting. I don't know if this is the "right" way either but how I usually create my measure table is from the below, then deleting the single, empty column I created.

Wilson__0-1711748061782.png

Maybe you find that less convoluted this way, maybe not. 😄

Well if it has never given you the error I am getting, I'd say that way is more right than my way. I will change to that. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.