Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mukul_jain
Frequent Visitor

Measure outside column hierarchy in Matrix visual

Hi All,

I have this requirement which is sort of a mixture of a table and a matrix. I tried many links but none shows any thing sismilar. basically I have some measure/value that I want to show under different category/column but there are some values that I just want to show the total and not split by column in the matrix visual. It will look something like this (focus on Current WAC & Total Value measure which are not split by column in a matrix)

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mukul_jain ,

i thought you can create something like this...

columns.png

You may download my PBIX file from here.
Hope this helps.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi @mukul_jain ,

check this out.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Show-or-Hide-Pivot-Table-Column-Conditionally/m-p/872598#M4...

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Hi @mwegener ,

I really appreciate the approach that you have shared, but it is still not what I am looking for. In my case, there is no condition (there can be n locations as per the sample format that I have shared) that can be used for showing a particular value. I need a separate column which does not follow the hierarchy.

Hi @mukul_jain ,

i thought you can create something like this...

columns.png

You may download my PBIX file from here.
Hope this helps.

Excellent Solution, to add data at the end or outside the hierarchy of columns in the visual matrix, this solution has worked perfectly for me.
This approach is laborious to implement and the complexity of each particular case.
It cost me a lot of time and work but in the end it was worth the effort.

The following image shows the result obtained and that is exactly what I had designed in SSRS.

If it is a lot of effort, especially when it is the first time, for the second or third report the design time in the part of the data model and in the DAX coding is reduced.

I hope that in the future this will be implemented and integrated in some way in some visualization.

Thank you very much for your input @mwegener , Regards

Captura.PNG

Hi @mwegener,

First of all, Kudos for the solution that was beyond expection!!

However, I noticed that you have intentionally kept a blank row in your location table, which shows up under the two separate header ('Current WAC' & 'Total Value') and solves the purpose in your case. However, in my case it is not the case as it is a predefined dataset from a client and I cannot intsert a blank row in that and Hence, not able to replicate the solution. If you can help a bit with that as well, it would be great!!

I have still marked as a solution because it is almost the solution that I was looking for. Cheers!

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi mulul_kain, 

According to your description, it seems that you want to add an column which is outside column group in Matrix, right?  As I know, current  Matrix visual can't support add outside column in it, I suggest you could try to use SSRS to achieve this goal . Or if you are professional in R , you could try to create custom visual to see whether it work or not.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @dax ,

SSRS is out of scope for my requirements. I will try R option, but I am new to that so might not be able to do so. Thanks for the support 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.