Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

aasamassa
Frequent Visitor

Measure only calculating correctly when filter is selected

I am trying to have a measure which calculates the ratio between the amount invoiced (table MIPOD) and the amount scrapped (table NC tracking List) Here is the relationship diagram:

aasamassa_0-1715697493929.png

I created a measure 'M_ratio_nc' which calculates the percentage of the total cost with the invoiced cost.

The measure is :  M_ratio_nc = sum('NC Tracking List'[Total cost])/SUM(MIPOD[cInvoiced])

I want to create a table with the different part numbers and the ratio but the values I am getting are way off unless I select a specific part number on a slicer. 

This is the table that I am trying to create

aasamassa_1-1715698413498.png

This is the number that I am supposed to get. It only displays the right number when I select itemId (from table MIITEM)  in the slicer.

aasamassa_2-1715698702875.png

Could someone help me with this measure?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Greg_Deckler @darioramadan Thanks for your contribution on this thread.

Hi @aasamassa ,

Thanks for your feedback. The direction of a relationship in Power BI determines how data filters are propagated between tables. Base on your screenshot, the MIPOD table doesn’t have a direct relationship with the NC Tracking table. When you set the relationship direction to both in the 'NC Tracking' table, filters applied to the NC Tracking table will affect the 'MIITEM' table and vice versa. And the filter will pass to the 'NC Tracking' table.  

Cross filter direction

The direction of relationships in Power BI | by sameer purohit | Medium

THE DIRECTION OF RELATIONSHIPS IN POWER BI | BI Consulting Services 

It is recommended to use star schema design principles to produce a model comprising dimension and fact tables. This involves creating relationships between your fact table (which appears to be MIPOD in your case) and your dimension tables (which appear to be MIITEM and NC Tracking in your case). The relationships would typically be one-to-many, with the “one” side on the dimension table and the “many” side on the fact table.Please note that while bidirectional relationships (direction set to both) can provide more flexibility in data analysis, they can also lead to performance issues and should be used with caution.

Apply star schema design principles

How to Relate Tables in Power BI - Zebra BI

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

The quick fix (but not the best one) is to put the direction of relationships in Booth

I first put the relationship direction to both in the MIPOD table and did not work but when I've put the direction to both in the NC Tracking table it seems to work. 

aasamassa_0-1715709945861.png

aasamassa_1-1715710019236.png

Could you explain why does it make a difference? And what wouls be a better fix?

Thank you!

@Greg_Deckler @darioramadan Thanks for your contribution on this thread.

Hi @aasamassa ,

Thanks for your feedback. The direction of a relationship in Power BI determines how data filters are propagated between tables. Base on your screenshot, the MIPOD table doesn’t have a direct relationship with the NC Tracking table. When you set the relationship direction to both in the 'NC Tracking' table, filters applied to the NC Tracking table will affect the 'MIITEM' table and vice versa. And the filter will pass to the 'NC Tracking' table.  

Cross filter direction

The direction of relationships in Power BI | by sameer purohit | Medium

THE DIRECTION OF RELATIONSHIPS IN POWER BI | BI Consulting Services 

It is recommended to use star schema design principles to produce a model comprising dimension and fact tables. This involves creating relationships between your fact table (which appears to be MIPOD in your case) and your dimension tables (which appear to be MIITEM and NC Tracking in your case). The relationships would typically be one-to-many, with the “one” side on the dimension table and the “many” side on the fact table.Please note that while bidirectional relationships (direction set to both) can provide more flexibility in data analysis, they can also lead to performance issues and should be used with caution.

Apply star schema design principles

How to Relate Tables in Power BI - Zebra BI

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the reply and references. 

The fact table would have been the NC Tracking in this case but it would create a Many-to-many relationship with MIPOD and the measure would be broken. There are measures that use fields from both NC Tracking and MIPOD tables, but I didn't see anyway to have 1-to-many relationship.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@aasamassa You more than likely have a relationship issue where your tables aren't filtering each other correctly. But, hard to be sure without more information like where everything is coming from in your visual, etc. Do you have sample data or a sample model that you can share?

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes the tablea MIPOD and NC Tracking are linked through the table MIITEM.

MIPOD contains the PO informations, the NC Tracking contains defects informations and MIITEM is the list of all the items.

aasamassa_0-1715703308386.png

Sample MIITEM Table

itemIddescrlocId
 DRIV-31-1270 MTL-H
180635.01 MTL-H
1924H MTL-H
22043031 MTL-H
22051826 MTL-H
22051826A MTL-H
22051844 MTL-H
22051844A MTL-H
22051849A MTL-H

Sample MIPOD data

pohIdlastRecvDtdescrcInvoicedreceivedcostitemId
AG51233########XYZ$880.100BLW-62-4005
AG51233########XYZ$134.10XXXBLW-07-2008
AG51233########XYZ$134.10XXXBLW-07-2008

Sample NC Tracking table

Part NumberUnitary CostDate closedTotal cost
CCo80.01$457.2024-02-00$457.
337798$74.12 $74.12
13288$30.352024-01-00$30.35
34358$56.532024-01-00$56.53

Would you need more info?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.